fahdh2

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
With/without RAM, only a PSU, a motherboard, a CPU, and a CPU cooler, if all I get on the motherboard is the light indicator (no beeps), does that mean the CPU is bad? The PSU fan and CPU cooler fans don't move at all.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
How do you know it is even turning on? On some boards the little light only indicates that the board is currently receiving power (ie it is connected to a PSU that is plugged in) and does not indicate that it is actually attempting to POST. Is this motherboard freshly installed in a case? If so, have you rechecked the front panel header to make sure you connected the power switch to the correct pins? Tried jumping the power switch pins yet? Is your 12 volt 4 pin accessory plugged into the board? To me, it doesn't sound like it is even powering on.

fahdh2

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Thanks for the comment. Actually, I tested the CPU on 2 motherboards, one that is brand new and working (tested w/another CPU) and one that is 2 years old. The green light indicators only come on when a CPU is attached to the socket and the power is plugged into the board (4 pin + main power). I had the same light come on, but no boot up or post. It seems my CPU was bad afterall =(.