Upgrade OS improve performance/fps?

shortshift23

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
hi i have a brand new system and right now my scores are only ok and i dont know if its just because of my hardware, or if its because of my operating system. i have a q9450, foxconn p45a-s motherboard, ocz 1066 4gb, gtx 260 core 216 superclocked, 150gb raptor and 650 watt power supply. im getting 11539 on performance setting on 3dmark vantage (cpu score 38543, gpu score 9354) which is ok. right now im running a stripped version of vista 32 without sp1. my question is if i upgrade to windows ultimate 64 bit with sp1 will i get more performance/fps? cause right now im maxed out on cod4 at 1680 resolution and i am still only getting about 35 fps on the scoutsniper map which is the most intensive map. let me know if my performance will increase with a better os. thanks a million

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Vista 64 might help. But by how much, I don't know. Honestly with the 32 bit you may be unable to use all of your ram. Because a 32 bit system can only read like 3 gb worth of ram. However, not sure I'd pay the price for ultimate. I think home premium would be plenty. But really the less things running in the background the better the system should do. At least in general use, maybe not benchies though.

shortshift23

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
its a stripped version of windows ultimate 32bit. its not retail so i cant update. but i can get a stripped version of 64 bit with sp1. do you think this would increase performance?

No, I don't think it would help enough to see a difference. Still 64 bit and sp1 is probably a good idea.
Look elsewhere for your performance issues.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
64-bit is not a bad idea, but it will likely actually slightly lower performance unless you have a true 64-bit app.

The difference will not be noticable, but don't expect a performance increase for a 32-bit game.

Installing SP1 may help.

So long as your current version is not pirated, you should be able to install SP1. You can patch "retail" versions.

What is a stripped version of ultimate???