E8500 Temperatures

Etherlite

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Hi guys.

First post here at Tom's Hardware :)

I've had my E8500 for a few months now and haven't really bothered about checking the temps as I've never had any crashes.

Anyway I though I'd post them here now just to check whether they're ok or not.

Using RealTemp with the Tjmax set to 95c for both cores, running Prime95 Small FFT's, on the stock Intel heatsink with Arctic Silver 5:

Max temp after 1hr: Switching betweem 63 | 59 and 62 | 58
Stock fan set to Auto.

2hrs and still the same. If I play Far Cry 2 aswell it reaches 65. I'll also be looking at buying an aftermarket cooler in a month or two, as I've heard the stock ones are pretty average. Which is a good, within a reasonable price, heatsink?

I ran IntelBurnTest at medium (as I have 4GB RAM and a 32-bit OS) 10 times and the max temp was 66 | 60

Additional specs:

Asus GTX260 TOP
Gigabyte EP45-DS3P Mobo
4GB Corsair PC2-6400 800Mhz XMS2 Ram
Armor+ MX Case

Also, due to E8xxx temperature reading problems, I thought I'd may as well just feel the actual heatsink fins. At idle it's barely warm, at load it's warm but not hot.

I'm going to go on the belief that the stock cooler should do its job, and provided my PC doesn't crash, I've got nothing to worry about. If it does, I'll send the CPU back under warrenty .

Cheers all. Long post I know, but I'm trying to give as much initial info as possible :bounce: