G.Skill Pi or HyperX ?

G

Hi guys.

It's finally this week that I decide which RAM I'll be buying.

Now it's between G.Skill PI PC2-6400 and Kingston HyperX PC2-8500. I would buy 2 kits for a total of 8 GB

Both are at the same price. Newegg "seems" to have HyperX in stock.... I hope they will still have this kit in stock tomorrow...

Anyways, here is a little summary of both kits :

Kingston is 1066
G.Skill is 800

Kingston runs at 2.2v
G.Skill runs at 1.8v

Both has a good heatspreader, but there is a little advantage to the G.Skill.

Both has the same bandwidth at the same clock speeds.

Reliability and Kingston's legendary stability or lower voltage and heat ( and easier to manage for the northbridge ) of G.SKill ?

Note that I plan to overclock my CPU on a 450x9 bus configuration to eventually hit the 4 GHz. The G.Skill can overclock to 450 MHz without any problem.

My motherboard : Asus Technologies Motherboard: Asus Maximus Formula / Intel X38 Express Chipset / ICH9R Southbridge / Intel 45nm Processors Ready

What's your point of view ??? Here is a review comparing the HyperX and the G.Skill : http://www.bigbruin.com/2008/gskillpi6400_5

Thank you very much.

Ghost.26

NITROGEnarcosis

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
I have that kingston mem your considering. It runs like a champ and have had no problems out of it at all. My friend has been running the 1066 spd of the gskill for a while and also has not had any problems. personally if you plan on going above 400mhz bus speed i would get the faster ram.

btw 450x9 is sweet, i have my e7200 running there atm everything flies :)

G

Thank you for your replies.

I think I'm going with the G.Skill.

Now the PK seriesd are also at a good price and free shipping ...

Sincerely I really don't know which one to get ! XD Someone I know had problem with the PK series. I'm sure it's only a bad luck and it can happens once in a while.

115 $ For the PK, 100 $ for the PI Series.

When I'll be overclocking, isn't simpler to have a 1:1 ratio and overclock the RAM to reach a 450 MHz bus speed ? I don't want to buy 1066 MHZ RAM and have to underclock them because of the ratios... Can someone explain this to me please ?

If there is any other advice, please, post it !

G

Ok.

I really can't decide myself on which kit to get...

G.Skill PI 800 overclocked to 900 using 1:1 ratio, lowest voltage possible, best heatsink and immediate shipping.
or
G.Skill PK 1066 using another ratio to hit the 1800 MHz FSB, 2.1v instead of 1.8-1.9v and Newegg shipping which seems longer for purchases in Canada.

Newegg doesn't have any more Kingston in stock... they never get the HyperX in sotck for more than 1 day.

Not always. Take a look at the Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1066. Those set's are quite a mess (ie. compatibility issues, Memtest86+ errors).

+1 for the PI also.

G

I think I'm going for the PI.

The PI Series overclock quite well and will do the 450 Mhz just fine. I don't need to pay the extra 20 $ to get 1066 MHz.

Any other advices ?

TRENDING THREADS