Scripting Language

September 16, 2005 5:30:47 PM

Please excuse this post if I have put it in the wrong group - was not
sure where to go with it really.

I would like to make my computer (WinXP Pro) go online when I boot up
in the morning and collect the 'daily crossword puzzle', downloading
it to a folder on my hard drive. I would want to do this only first
thing each day, and not to re-do it if I reboot the computer for
whatever reason, so perhaps it needs to be setup not to run
automatically but only when I click, say, a desktop icon.

I am not a complete beginner with computers, having done some work in
visual basic and basic programming, as well as vba for msoffice 2003.
While this does not make a programmer out of me, it did give me a good
understanding of how things work in the background of software and a
bit of an idea about what all is involved in actually creating
programs. I have read in passing about a scripting language so I know
it is out there but I know nothing about it really, and am not even
sure if it would be the correct thing to use to accomplish what I
would like to do. Is the scripting language a part of the windows os?

I just really need a push into the right direction - then I can start
reading and studying and trying to find out how to do this. Or perhaps
this cannot even be done - just knowing that and saving myself a lot
of grief would really be helpful. While this is really a frivolous
task, I'm sure I would learn a ton about something new to me, and that
is the real challenge here.

TIA
Joanne

More about : scripting language

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 7:04:46 PM

You're most likely referring to the Windows Scripting Host and Visual Basic Scripting. I would say that as long as the cross word puzzle could be downloaded via FTP, its pretty easy to do. If its a standard web page, using HTTP, then its more difficult, but possibly doable. More info on the Windows Scripting Host and VB Script can be found at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Joanne" <jobobbuss@sbcglobal.com> wrote in message news:o PqraLsuFHA.3260@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Please excuse this post if I have put it in the wrong group - was not
> sure where to go with it really.
>
> I would like to make my computer (WinXP Pro) go online when I boot up
> in the morning and collect the 'daily crossword puzzle', downloading
> it to a folder on my hard drive. I would want to do this only first
> thing each day, and not to re-do it if I reboot the computer for
> whatever reason, so perhaps it needs to be setup not to run
> automatically but only when I click, say, a desktop icon.
>
> I am not a complete beginner with computers, having done some work in
> visual basic and basic programming, as well as vba for msoffice 2003.
> While this does not make a programmer out of me, it did give me a good
> understanding of how things work in the background of software and a
> bit of an idea about what all is involved in actually creating
> programs. I have read in passing about a scripting language so I know
> it is out there but I know nothing about it really, and am not even
> sure if it would be the correct thing to use to accomplish what I
> would like to do. Is the scripting language a part of the windows os?
>
> I just really need a push into the right direction - then I can start
> reading and studying and trying to find out how to do this. Or perhaps
> this cannot even be done - just knowing that and saving myself a lot
> of grief would really be helpful. While this is really a frivolous
> task, I'm sure I would learn a ton about something new to me, and that
> is the real challenge here.
>
> TIA
> Joanne
September 17, 2005 4:42:22 AM

Thanks for the pointer Doug
There sure is a lot of info at this site
Will take a bit of time to get a handle on it all
Your time spent to give me an answer is very appreciated

!