Scripting Language

Please excuse this post if I have put it in the wrong group - was not
sure where to go with it really.

I would like to make my computer (WinXP Pro) go online when I boot up
in the morning and collect the 'daily crossword puzzle', downloading
it to a folder on my hard drive. I would want to do this only first
thing each day, and not to re-do it if I reboot the computer for
whatever reason, so perhaps it needs to be setup not to run
automatically but only when I click, say, a desktop icon.

I am not a complete beginner with computers, having done some work in
visual basic and basic programming, as well as vba for msoffice 2003.
While this does not make a programmer out of me, it did give me a good
understanding of how things work in the background of software and a
bit of an idea about what all is involved in actually creating
programs. I have read in passing about a scripting language so I know
it is out there but I know nothing about it really, and am not even
sure if it would be the correct thing to use to accomplish what I
would like to do. Is the scripting language a part of the windows os?

I just really need a push into the right direction - then I can start
reading and studying and trying to find out how to do this. Or perhaps
this cannot even be done - just knowing that and saving myself a lot
of grief would really be helpful. While this is really a frivolous
task, I'm sure I would learn a ton about something new to me, and that
is the real challenge here.

TIA
Joanne
2 answers Last reply
More about scripting language

    You're most likely referring to the Windows Scripting Host and Visual Basic Scripting. I would say that as long as the cross word puzzle could be downloaded via FTP, its pretty easy to do. If its a standard web page, using HTTP, then its more difficult, but possibly doable. More info on the Windows Scripting Host and VB Script can be found at:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnanchor/html/scriptinga.asp

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Joanne" <jobobbuss@sbcglobal.com> wrote in message news:OPqraLsuFHA.3260@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > Please excuse this post if I have put it in the wrong group - was not
    > sure where to go with it really.
    >
    > I would like to make my computer (WinXP Pro) go online when I boot up
    > in the morning and collect the 'daily crossword puzzle', downloading
    > it to a folder on my hard drive. I would want to do this only first
    > thing each day, and not to re-do it if I reboot the computer for
    > whatever reason, so perhaps it needs to be setup not to run
    > automatically but only when I click, say, a desktop icon.
    >
    > I am not a complete beginner with computers, having done some work in
    > visual basic and basic programming, as well as vba for msoffice 2003.
    > While this does not make a programmer out of me, it did give me a good
    > understanding of how things work in the background of software and a
    > bit of an idea about what all is involved in actually creating
    > programs. I have read in passing about a scripting language so I know
    > it is out there but I know nothing about it really, and am not even
    > sure if it would be the correct thing to use to accomplish what I
    > would like to do. Is the scripting language a part of the windows os?
    >
    > I just really need a push into the right direction - then I can start
    > reading and studying and trying to find out how to do this. Or perhaps
    > this cannot even be done - just knowing that and saving myself a lot
    > of grief would really be helpful. While this is really a frivolous
    > task, I'm sure I would learn a ton about something new to me, and that
    > is the real challenge here.
    >
    > TIA
    > Joanne

    Thanks for the pointer Doug
    There sure is a lot of info at this site
    Will take a bit of time to get a handle on it all
    Your time spent to give me an answer is very appreciated
    Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:

    >You're most likely referring to the Windows Scripting Host and Visual Basic Scripting. I would say that as long as the cross word puzzle could be downloaded via FTP, its pretty easy to do. If its a standard web page, using HTTP, then its more difficult, but possibly doable. More info on the Windows Scripting Host and VB Script can be found at:
    >
    >http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnanchor/html/scriptinga.asp

Windows XP