Power connections for GA-EP45-UD3P

loverly

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Hello. Have a new build with this mobo and I can't get it to boot up when I connect both cpu 4 pin power connectors. If I attach just one, it boots fine.

So, my questions are:
- is that a defect?
- will this affect my ability to OC the rig?
- is it just a crappy power supply?

Thanks!

GA-EP45-UD3P with Intel E8400 3 Ghz
Power Supply is Orion HP485D (I know, cheap, but it came with the Antec case I bought)

donfm

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2004

I have the same board and processor. I have only 2 power connectors from my power supply. One is a 8 pin (2x4pin)12v power...and one is a 24 pin ATX board power.

You only require a single 4 pin to power the CPU. The extra one is optional. The extra 4 pin will help with giving stable power to (mainly) Quad core CPUs. I do think that power supply is rather small. Gigabyte recommends no less than a 500 watt psu for this board.

I just looked up that power supply.....that's like a $20 PSU. http://www.pricescan.com/item.asp?category=misc&itemno=969629. I would suggest using that one for a doorstop and investing in a decent supply if you don't want headaches down the road. Remember everything starts with the power supply. If you don't have clean steady power nothing else will work right either. And even more so since you want to overclock. Just my opinion.