Sign in with
Your question

M2N-E + AMD Phenom II X4 940 ?

Last response: in CPUs
January 21, 2009 4:57:02 PM

I have a M2N-E Asus mobo with an AMD X2 6000+, the board is a AM2 socket... my question, will the new Phenom II X4 940 work in this board? I thought the AM2+ chips would work in the AM2 sockets?????

More about : m2n amd phenom 940

January 21, 2009 6:02:42 PM

Architecturally they will work together, although slightly worse perfomance than if the motherboard was also AM2+. The only 2 things to check is wattage (which is fine as the board support 125W) and the BIOS (which does not currently list you CPU http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan... but could still work)
January 21, 2009 7:12:02 PM

why dnt you jus grab a 7750
Related resources
January 22, 2009 12:22:23 AM

make sure you get the better south bridge if your overclocking - amd spent 2 years on that!

570 is old and hot
January 30, 2009 11:20:41 PM

I have a M2N-E and if you want to get the full performance from the Phenom II then you need a motherboard with good support and features. You should get the M3A78-CM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). Asus gave it the "Corporate Stable" stamp of approval and Newegg has it rated pretty high. It will give you just about everything you would need. Believe me, the M2N-E isn't worth it if you want to upgrade your cpu. I ordered my M3A78-CM today with the new Phenom II. Plus the board only costs $73.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2009 6:15:21 PM

Just to try things out I stuck my new AM3 Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition into my M2N-E. It comes up as unknown AMD processor but the options for Phenom cpus are available in the bios and things seem to be stable so far, even played a couple hours of WoW. Using 1701 bios.
March 6, 2009 6:43:36 PM

Check your PM, MrMJS. Thanks.
March 6, 2009 11:18:18 PM

My advice:

Email the mobo manufacturer. Ask someone if the board supports it with any BIOS updates, etc. If the tech guys say so at the mobo company, you are pretty much assured.

If not, you have written proof of their response and recourse.

Good luck with that. I am gonna try dropping a 9850 in a M2N32-SLi Deluxe Wireless probably this weekend or next.
June 3, 2010 4:12:17 PM

just wanted to say thanks for posting that link to the asus site and this thread in general. i have had the m2n-e (happily!) for a while now and running same as the OP (X2 6000+). Been wanting to upgrade to a phenom 2 for a while now, since prices are so low. Very happy to see that it finally supports it (initially everyone thought the update would never come out, since asus would probably want you to buy a new mobo from them.) i am very happy to see asusu support its legacy products.

on to newegg!
they have the AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz for 140$ + 15$ gift card!

i check Asus's mobo support site at
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan...

and the note by the cpu says:
"Due to Bios ROM size limitation remove LAN PXE ROM and change Crashfree3 to Crashfree2"

anyone know what that means or if its easily done in the bios? im not home right now so i cant check. will my onboard LAN still work afterward?
June 3, 2010 4:30:42 PM

so i scoured the asus forums and found this reply from VIP member starams5:

"LAN PXE: "Short for Pre-Boot Execution Environment. It allows a workstation to boot from a server on a network prior to booting the operating system on the local hard drive. A PXE-enabled workstation connects its NIC to the LAN via a jumper, which keeps the workstation connected to the network even when the power is off."

Crashfree 2: "This feature allows you to restore the original BIOS data from the support CD when the BIOS codes and data are corrupted."

When you get in a bios jam the chances of a CrashFree bios recovery are slim to none. You could probably live without both of these features (or CrashFree 3 to CrashFree 2), don't feel cheated."

and that everything should be removed automatically.

here is the forum thread link:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=2010022509480139...

also, the 940 is currently 117$ at newegg w/ a 10$ gift card.

however the asus website DOES NOT list the 940 as compatible, even with 3001 bios. anyone know if it is? id rather get the 940 cause its cheaper.
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2010 9:09:37 PM

True the 940 is not on the cpu support list. I suspect this is because its a 125 watt cpu. This board supports C3 AM3 cpu's, but not 125 or 140 watt variants. It would likely run on your board, but it is not officially supported because of the wattage.

If you have not yet purchased a chip, pick something that is supported. The 945 is supported.

Are we talking about the M2N-E or the M2N-E SLI?
a b à CPUs
June 4, 2010 3:56:17 PM

Both motherboards are the exact same regarding the chipset

The 945 is 125W (the max of the M2N-E

Should run great and you will see a huge jump of performance compared to the 6000+

Don't worry yourself with the HT Link being slower, I had the board and ran a benchmark on both M2N-E and M3A78-EM... performain gains are pnuts (something like 13014 on the M2N-E and 13105 on the M3A that has double the HT Link.

Will work according to Asus website after flashing, don't worry yourself.
!