GeForce 9800GTX XLR8 Power Issues Please Help

SBoeker

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
I am in need of some computer geniuses on this one. I recently upgraded my video card from a 8500GT to the 9800 GTX XLR8 and in the process had to upgrade my PS to a BFG GS-650. I have both 6 pin supplimental power supplies connected to the video card, but I have had a couple times where when I boot up my system it says that there is not enough power and it is lowering the cards performance to protect it. I am not sure what could be causing this but I have seen it run fine and run in this mode and the difference is huge. We are talking about running 60fps without that error and 2-3 fps with that error on WoW WotLK. Can anyone give me some ideas or possible solutions to try? Could my card not be seated well and not getting all the power from the motherboard it needs or something else? Thanks for any help you can give.

Seth

Hornet85

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
Doubt your card would be working at all if its not properly seated in the slot

Such message usually meant its not getting the extra power from the connectors. Make sure they are connected properly.

Your PSU, I doubt its not enough. It should be more than enough to power your system. Unless the power supply is malfunctioning.

If you can, try testing with another power supply, to determine whether its the power supply issue or the card itself has some physical problem