Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should I overclock my cpu?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 21, 2010 7:38:12 AM

First of all, what I really understand about overclocking a cpu is making it faster but in worst condition, if someone would clarify that would be great. Second I mainly play games, watch movies, convert video with this pc so I'm basically looking to boost my gaming experience. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Here are my parts if you guys think I should:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor

Heatsink: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

Mobo: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

GPU: XFX HD-485X-ZDFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint M7 HM500JI 500GB 5400 RPM 8MB

More about : overclock cpu

a b à CPUs
February 21, 2010 12:23:56 PM

well, the only thing that would change with the OC to the cpu is probably the video converting

gaming on that computer is going to be GPU bound for almost all games, so an O may not improve your frame rate at all

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2010 1:15:09 PM

mindless728 said:
well, the only thing that would change with the OC to the cpu is probably the video converting

gaming on that computer is going to be GPU bound for almost all games, so an O may not improve your frame rate at all

I disagree completely. If he was using a 4650, sure, but a 4850 is no slouch of a videocard, and can make good use of OC'd CPUs. Overclocking the CPU should make a positive difference in game performance, but how much will have to be witnessed and gauged for effectiveness by the OP.

Brooks G said:
First of all, what I really understand about overclocking a cpu is making it faster but in worst condition, if someone would clarify that would be great. Second I mainly play games, watch movies, convert video with this pc so I'm basically looking to boost my gaming experience. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Here are my parts if you guys think I should:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor

Heatsink: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

Mobo: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

GPU: XFX HD-485X-ZDFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint M7 HM500JI 500GB 5400 RPM 8MB

-Processors age because of voltage and heat. Generally, overclocking requires +voltage and produces +heat, so a CPU will age faster when overclocked. When overclocked near the limit, may actually become unstable over time and needs to be downclocked from previous peak performance to maintain stability (apparently perhaps due to something called elctron migration, over my head stuff, really). A CPU may happily perform for 5-20 years and beyond in the right conditions without being overclocked, but OC'ing a CPU isn't an early death sentence. If you really desire this computer to be usuable for at least 5 years, don't OC, or at the very least, keep the daily overclock reasonable and far from the limit. Thats not to say it will die in under 5 years, but the odds of it doing so are enhanced with overclocking. Find out the limits of voltage and heat (i think 1.5v and 72c respectively for Athlon IIs) and do your best to stay far away from them if you need longevity.

Video conversion and Gaming should both improve with an OC. Watching movies is moot, as the CPU can handle most any movie format at stock speeds as it is.
Related resources
a c 205 K Overclocking
a c 80 à CPUs
February 21, 2010 1:17:50 PM

Brooks G said:

Educate yourself on overclocking first by reading O/C reviews and How To's, there are How To's here at THGF and you can Google anything you need to know and pack your brain with O/Cing knowledge, then you won't have to ask this question in a dedicated O/Cing section that's filled with O/Cers.

Learn first, Then do!

Then, If you decide O/Cing is for you, and going to benefit you, you won't be doing it from someones opinion.

If you do not know what you are doing, you could rue the day you even considered overclocking in the first place, while looking at your smoking pile of hardware!
February 21, 2010 7:35:31 PM

Best answer selected by Brooks G.
February 21, 2010 7:36:22 PM

alright, got it. I think I'm gonna stay away from Ocing for the time being. Thanks guys for answering this question!
!