need some help...no post on boot

sUpPr3sSoR

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
Ok here's the deal. I'm building my daughters a pc after upgrading mine. I'm good with mine it's up and running. I went from an amd 3500 to an amd 6000+ I also went from an ecs geforce 6100pm-m2 to an asus m3a (more of a side grade but wanted to use the ecs for the girls machine). Changed Buffalo ddr2 6400 to corsair 6400. I've also switched from an epower 430 watt to an antec 550 true power trio. Evga 7800gt to a PNY 8800gt. Also switched from a wd 80gig to a wd 320 gig hard drive both 7200 rpms.

Ok problem is I am using all the old components in the new machine but the old motherboard was running the 6000+. I can't get the new machine to post or boot at all with the 3500 in it. I also have a new case for the girls machine. It is a used case and there was no manual. I am assuming that the arrow on the led and power switch is the positive wire. I've tried removing the cmos battery to clear the cmos and I've use the jumper to clear the cmos. I've disconnected everything in the case except the psu hd and ram and I can't get the machine to post even. I know that all the components are good as I was just using all of them so there must be something I'm missing. The hard drive still has on it what it did before. What am I missing?

Well the best way to troubleshoot non-posting PC's, is to remove everything out of the case and place on a non-conductive surface (wood, cardboard, etc.).
Install the CPU (w/HSF), 1 memory stick, HD and connect up the power supply. Make sure that all of your connections are good and solid. You have an onboard GPU, so you don't need to have your 7800gt hooked up yet.
If you suspect your power connector on your new/old case is bad, just jump the switch with a well placed screwdriver between pins 6 and 8 on Panel1, as noted in the mobo manual.
Panel1
Pin Signal Function
1 HD_LED_P Hard disk LED (+) 2 FP PWR/SLP *MSG LED (+)
3 HD_LED_N Hard disk LED (-)
5 RST_SW_N Reset Switch (-)
7 RST_SW_P Reset Switch (+)
9 RSVD Reserved
4 FP PWR/SLP *MSG LED (-)
6 PWR_SW_P Power Switch (+)
8 PWR_SW_N Power Switch (-)
10 Key No pin

Is it possible that you still have the CMOS jumper on pins 2&3?? Pins 1 & 2 is the normal operating position.

sUpPr3sSoR

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
Ok I've done all this except the screwdriver to the 6 and 8 pins. The power led connector has 3 holes and hence doesnt work on panel 1 which only allows 2 pins. Cmos is on 1/2 and nothing is hooked up except the cpu hd and one ram stick.

How do i jump the 6 and 8 pins I dont want to mess anything up.

sUpPr3sSoR

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
ok here goes.... epower 430w power supply, geforce6100pm-m2 motherboard, amd 3500 processor, and 2 gigs ddr 2 6400,80 gig hard drive from western digital, and a 7800gt but its not connected as I am trouble shooting. Another thing that I dont think should matter but maybe does is the processor fan is a 3 pin connector and the motherboard spot for a cpu fan has four pins. Something to note anyway.

I think you might double check the connection, but I'm pretty sure the connector will only fit on one way (without breaking/damaging the connector). Should be on pins 1-3, if I'm not mistaken.

CPU_FAN: FAN Power Connector
Pin Signal Name

1 GND System Ground
2 +12V Power +12V
3 Sense Sensor
4 Control CPU FAN control

So if you can recap the last part. Did I understand that you can get the system to turn on?? All the way to windows or just to the BIOS setup??
You mentioned not being able to shut it down though, too??

sUpPr3sSoR

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
If turn the machine on all the fans come on and the hd spins but no bios no nothing. The connector does only fit on one way but does the fourth pin being bare effect anything? Only way to turn the machine back off is the powersupply switch.

No I don't think the 4th pin matters. It allows the mobo to adjust the fan speed automatically, if you have the setting correct in the BIOS.

A couple of things to double check, maybe I'm missing something obvious here:
* Double check that you have the CPU HSF on correctly. If it's not seated correctly, the system won't fully power up.
* You can take the PSU from your new rig and connect it up to the old one (I know its a PITA!!), but this will try and eliminate the PSU from the equation.
* You can also try the memory from the new build in this one (1 stick only) to see if that changes things. It is possible to damage the memory with static electricty (if your working on a rug surface and inadvertantly discharge through the sticks).
* Disconnect the other front panel connections (RST SW, HD LED, FP PWR), just to eliminate other variables that were are not aware of.
* Last resort is to swap out mobo's and see if that changes anything.

I'm sorta running out of ideas.... :(

sUpPr3sSoR

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
Ok seems like the cpu is not seated correctly not glued down so to speak. Problem is I've tried reseating it and it just won't. What is that all about?

Generally the seating of the CPU is usually pretty straight forward, but from time to time it can be a little ah heck to line it all up. I find it alot easier to put the CPU and the CPU HSF on the mobo first, before attaching any other parts or installing the mobo into the case. This way I know for sure that the fit is good. I'd highly recommend that you double check it outside of the case, before you ever put it back into the case. Hopefully you still have the mobo outside of the case, so you can easily re-install the CPU HSF. I did forget to ask you if you cleaned off the old thermal paste and re-applied some new??

sUpPr3sSoR

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
I have reseated the cpu over 25 times and same result each time both outside the case and in I've re applied new thermal paste 3 times and same thing each of these times as well not sure why but its just not taking.

When you mean by "taking", does that mean that your not getting a firm placement of the CPU HSF?? Does it lock down smoothly and firmly??

At this point, I'd try and single out each part by using your other setup to verify each part. Not sure where to begin, but maybe at the PSU and then go from there.