Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overclocking settings help AMD X3 435

Last response: in Overclocking
February 21, 2010 6:41:11 PM

CPU: AMD X3 435 2.9Ghz
Motherboard:MSI NF750-G55
Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800 2x2Gb DDR3 1600 Mhz( i didnt change any timeings)

Current bios settings( still overclocked)

The reason its currently overclock is because i put the Overclock FSB switch on the motherboard to 20% increase.

CPU FBS frequency(Mhz): 240
CPU ratio: x14.5
CPU frequency: 3.48 Ghz (240x14.5)
CPU Voltage: 1.427

FBS/DRAM ratio: Auto
DRAM Frequency: 1600 Mhz
DRAM Voltage: 1.68

CPU-NB frequency: 2400 Mhz (i have no idea what this is)

All the other voltage options are at Auto including NB voltage and CPU-NB voltage. (what are those anyway?)

The DRAM Frequency right now is good but the CPU frequency is a little too low( i want to put it to 3.8Ghz).
But whenever i change the CPU FBS frequency the DRAM frequency
changes with it, so i have to change the FBS/DRAM ratio. So i worked with that and this is what i got.

(I havent tested these settings yet)

CPU FBS frequency(Mhz): 400
CPU ratio: x9.5
CPU frequency: 3.8 Ghz
CPU Voltage: 1.427

FBS/DRAM ratio: 1:2 (i changed it to this so it will say at 1600 Mhz)
DRAM Frequency: 1600 Mhz
DRAM Voltage: 1.68

CPU-NB frequency: 4000 Mhz (is this too high?)

All the other voltage options are at Auto including NB voltage and CPU-NB voltage.

The question here how do i slowly adjust to these settings?, or will it just fry my PC?

February 21, 2010 8:13:07 PM

bump
m
l
February 27, 2010 2:20:49 PM

bump
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 27, 2010 7:26:40 PM

First of all, turn off the easy OC switches. Since you'll be playing with the bios anyway it's just less confusing if you just set them back to 0% and forget the switches even exist.

The easiest way to get to your goal, is to ebay your current x3, or save it for another build, and get a 'black edition' cpu with an unlocked multiplier. Then you can crank up the cpu multiplier to where you want it without affecting anything else. If you want to keep your current cpu, it's still possible to get at least close to your goal but it's going to be a slow tedious process.

using a multiplier locked cpu, you need to tackle this in three stages.
First thing you need to do is set your memory divider to 1:2 and declock your cpu multiplier to like x10 or something. The reason for this is that you need to raise the FSB and keep the northbridge stable first, and make sure your ram and cpu aren't causing instabilities while trying to tune the fsb, so you declock them to keep them in spec.

From the math, the target FSB you want to get to 3.8ghz with your maximum allowed multiplier (x14.5 for your cpu) is 262mhz.

DO NOT JUST SET IT TO THIS heh. Your system might not post. Since you know it runs at 240mhz, kick it up a bit and raise it in increments, say, 5 or 6 mhz at a time, until you get to your target. Each time you raise it, you really need to boot into your OS and run some kind of stress test, (prime95 on blend, etc) for at least 10 or 15 minutes to make sure the system is still stable. If you start to get to the point where it's crashing or failing the stress tests, You have two options. The first is bump the NB voltages up a little and try the tests again. The VDD settings change the voltages in large chunks, and the other adjustments change them in small increments. CPU-NB VDD, CPU NB, and NB would be the settings for the northbridge. I'm not sure what the voltages not to exceed would be for the NB are though. Values i've seen on the net of in use overclocks are:

cpu-nb vdd = 1.275
cpu nb = 1.329
nb = 1.221

But these were NOT tried by me on my nf750-g55

The other option is to decrease the NB multipler.

You just need to keep slowly bumping up the FSB until you get to your goal of 262mhz or it starts to get unstable, in which case you raise the northbridge voltages slightly then keep trying to get it to 262, decrease the northbridge multipler, or both.

After you get to 262mhz FSB, hopefully you will without too much hassles, Next it's time for ram.

This part is pretty simple. Change it to 1:3.33. This will put the ram at 750mhz or so, which is as close to the 800mhz as your going to get without spending oodles of time playing with it. Run another stress test anyway, but since the ram is rated for 800 it should do fine underclocked a bit a 750.

Lastly it's time to clock the cpu back up. Since it was running at almost 3.5 anyway, set it to 13.5 and try a stress test. If it passes bump it up to x14 and try again. again if it passes move up to 14.5 which should a little over 3.8ghz. If you start having stability problems here, start raising the cpu voltage. (CPU VDD and CPU V, but all I ever used was CPU VDD) Start at 1.4v and work your way up. I'm not sure what the max your cpu will tolerate. I know on the phenom II's it's between 1.5 and 1.55v usually. You will get to the point of diminishing returns at some point. On my X2 550BE, it was at 3.7ghz. It is stable at 3.7 at 1.4v, which is just slightly over stock voltage. stability at 3.8ghz took 1.5125v though, one heck of a voltage increase just for 100mhz. I have no interest in overstressing my cpu thermally though so 3.7 does me fine.

Just remember. these settings I mention are all subject to be whatever you want and runs best on your particular system.. which involves a lot of trial and error, and stability testing. And I don't guarantee any of the numbers I posted to actually be workable. I have a BE processor in my nf750-g55, so my need to do much FSB overclocking has been very minimal, since it's only benefit to me is to OC the ram.

Hope this helps.
February 28, 2010 1:44:58 PM

Best answer selected by ringelos.
m
l
!