Sign in with
Your question

Cheapest graphics card to game with 2 monitors

Last response: in Overclocking
February 21, 2010 7:27:05 PM

I would love to game with 2 monitors but i only have £150 for the graphics card left over; My motherboard - Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P this has 2 graphics card x16 slots (dual x8) I was thinking maybe 2 HD4850 (512MB) or the HD5830 when it comes out. I want to play MW2 and GRID etc. it doesn't really matter about AA or AF but I do want it to look good ;) , so what do you think?

a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2010 11:18:19 PM

I love my 9600GT, and i can run Supreme Comander (Only game i have at the moment with dual monitor support) which i know isnt all that damanding of a game...

You could OC em and then SLI them... But Im not sure how much that is in dalla, but on Newegg if you get them for each around 80-100 dalla depending on what features you wanted :) .

Love my 9600GT, but im sorta limited right now with my CPU. Im building what seems to be a similar build... :) 
a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2010 11:19:03 PM

Hope that helps!
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2010 1:13:33 AM

How do you game with two monitors? Do you mean play on 1 monitor while running some monitoring programs or applications on the others? Or do you really mean play games at both monitors at the same time?
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 28, 2010 6:15:05 PM

randomkid said:
How do you game with two monitors? Do you mean play on 1 monitor while running some monitoring programs or applications on the others? Or do you really mean play games at both monitors at the same time?

+1

That question will determine what kind of card you will need. If you just want dual monitors, any card will be able to do that, so long as it has two outputs. If you want to play a game stretched across both (not recommended with just two), you'll need a card from AMD's 5 series that is powerful enough to run at whatever the resolution of your displays is.
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2010 7:54:43 AM

Get one really nice card and run both games in windows mode :na: 
March 2, 2010 8:39:29 AM

look dude i have a 4870 (a powerful gpu) and i only use one monitor and you wanna buy the cheapest gpu to play your games on two?
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2010 9:09:33 AM

mohsentux said:
look dude i have a 4870 (a powerful gpu) and i only use one monitor and you wanna buy the cheapest gpu to play your games on two?

lol you have to read his topic a few more times... Not just the cheapest card, but the cheapest card to play w/ two monitors.... if you get it? I.E if the cheapest card to play with two monitors is a 4870, then it would be that.... i dont know :whistle: 
March 2, 2010 9:19:39 PM

BroHamBone said:
lol you have to read his topic a few more times... Not just the cheapest card, but the cheapest card to play w/ two monitors.... if you get it? I.E if the cheapest card to play with two monitors is a 4870, then it would be that.... i dont know :whistle: 

I'm only saying : "MORE MONEY = MORE FUN" [:mohsentux:1]
with what he's doing he won't get a fair fps to enjoy games
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2010 9:54:43 PM

IMO I wouldn't game across two or three monitors, how can 3 be more recommended than two ? Your looking at panel borders regardless.
March 3, 2010 2:32:56 AM

+1

I have 2 5850s in crossfire, but I play on one 24inch 1920x1080 res
Which still isn't enough for my taste, 2 5850s xfired overclocked, still doesn't bring me the joy of using everything full details, 8xAA, 16AF, I have to tune it down to 4xAA for some games
Ex) Battlefield Bad Company 2, Flipping special effects such as smoke just rapes my gpu when anything like smoke shows

As you said, you game without the problem of AA or AF
Go with a 5850 or a 5830 when it comes out

I'd personally go with 2 5970 in xfire for multi monitor setups
If money is the cause, one 5970
If money is still the problem, 5870
If money is still making you suffer, 2x5850s in xfire
If that is still too damn expensive (which is the truth), go with a 5850
If you game on no AA, crap AF, wait till 5830 comes out (the estimated retail price for a 5830 is only $20 Cheaper than a 5850 in my country atm)

If you can really hold your money till the end of march, wait till Nvidia releases their new gpu and see how they perform/price
By then ATI will probably reduce their prices of their GPUs

My personal opinion, go at least 3 monitors.
2 Monitors, just imagine when you are playing a FPS game, the monitor boarders are right in the middle of your crosshair so when you try to get a headshot, the enemies head is spilt into 2 by the middle monitor boarder.

umm yea, I'd go with a bigger monitor instead lol. I dislike boarders, but I like multi tasking with a few monitors.
I use 3 at work to do office work/internet/my companies system, that works really great

But for gaming... stick with one, a large one or 3, two monitors is just kinda weird when playing FPS games.

Hope you actually read all this lol, and please, someone correct me if I am wrong about anything.
!