firebird

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
So I've had an HTPC for a few years now, and recently my SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS began giving up the ghost. It was causing lots of static over the speakers and cutting out when ever anything electrical in the house turned on. So I replaced it with an X-Fi Xtreme Gamer.

No more cutting out when other devices are turned on (like furnace or refrigerator) and no more static.

Here's my new problem:

When I use PowerDVD 8 for BluRay or standard DVD and output the audio over the SPDIF to my receiver the sound will drop out ever so often. Could be 3 times a minitue for a 1/2 second each, or could be once an hour for 1/2 second. Either way it's annoying and I can't figure it out. The sound will also get "out of synch" with the video about 90% through the movie. CPU usage never goes above 65% and is usually in the upper 20's%.

When I play sound through Media Center through the SPDIF to my receiver it has no issues at all, and sounds great.
Driver issue?

Specs:

Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit
Athlon 64 X2 4200
Thermaltake Big Typhoon (Alu)
FSP Group 400 watt fanless PS
1 GB Corsair Value PC3200
MachSpeed mobo, socket939 (can't remember model #)
160 GB SATA HDD
160 GB IDE HDD
LG BD/HD-DVD combo drive, SATA
NEC DVD burner, IDE
X-Fi Xtreme Gamer, PCI
Asus Radeon 2600 Pro, PCIe
Sapphire Theater Pro 550
ATI HDTV Wonder (using XP drivers)
Rosewill Gigabit NIC, PCIe
Antec Dvine case

firebird

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
Just thought I'd post my resolution to this issue.

I uninstalled all Creative software and installed the latest beta driver. I've watched a few movies so far and have no sound issues.