kay-boy

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
An application specifies a requirement of 200GB to host a database and other files. It also specifies that the storage environment should support 5,000 IOPS during its peak processing cycle. The disks available for configuration provide 66GB of usable capacity, and the manufacturer specifies that they can support a maximum of 140 IOPS. The application is response time sensitive and disk utilization beyond 60 percent will not meet the response time requirements of the application. Compute and explain the theoretical basis for the minimum number of disks that should be configured to meet the requirements of the application.

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009

:lol:
Well, now I know what kind of questions to look out for if I ever get a networking degree.

4745454b

Titan
Actually guys I've been thinking about this. Would short stroking help? I know the Avg transfer rates would go up, but would the IOPS go up as well or is that solely a function of the controller? If you SS these hypothetical 66GB down to 10 or 30GBs, could you raise the 140IOPS up to 160? 180?

I would imagine that its all for not. You'd need a controller to handle a large number of drives to get to 5k, and I'm assuming we aren't talking onboard.