Sign in with
Your question

Raid 0

Last response: in Storage
April 1, 2010 2:46:05 AM

Hello everyone, my mobo is Asus maximus 2 formula with speeding hdd.I currently have samsung f3 500gb and ordered 1 more f3 500 gb and 1 tb f3 as wellfor back up..I'm getting ready to put it in RAID 0. I have the user guide but just want to make sure i do it right.What would be the best way to use the 1tb hd as back up.Inside the pc or the docking station?

More about : raid

a c 415 G Storage
April 1, 2010 5:42:36 AM

For backups you really should put the drive into an external enclosure or use a docking station so that you can remove the drive after making the backup. That way if you have an electrical hit, virus attack, theft, etc. your backup won't be a victim along with the original data.

The very safest backup strategy is to have at least two backup disks that you alternate, and keep the most recent one offsite.
April 1, 2010 9:59:00 AM

Thanks so much for the reply Sminlal, i realy appreciate that. Good day.
Related resources
April 1, 2010 3:31:36 PM

Alternatively, you could use an application like PureSync, that allow 2 folder on different drive to be synchronized.

This way, you can have a Picture folder on the array and the same folder on the other drive. You can hide it if you want. So, any change you make on the picture folder on the array will be mirrored on the other drive. So if either the array or the other drive dies, you always have a copy.

But that don't prevent loss caused by mistake, viruses,.. only mechanical failure. It is alway good to have some other kind of backup not on the same computer
a c 415 G Storage
April 1, 2010 6:11:14 PM

pat said:
Alternatively, you could use an application like PureSync, that allow 2 folder on different drive to be synchronized.

I've always been very leery of using synchronization products to do backups. The problem is that if you accidentally delete a file and don't discover it right away, the copy on your backup will get deleted too.
April 2, 2010 1:42:01 AM

sminlal said:
I've always been very leery of using synchronization products to do backups. The problem is that if you accidentally delete a file and don't discover it right away, the copy on your backup will get deleted too.

As I said ..

pat said:
But that don't prevent loss caused by mistake, viruses,.. only mechanical failure. It is alway good to have some other kind of backup not on the same computer
!