Pc nightmare, need help!!!

blakewh

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Hey people, I need your help!!

One morning i tried to boot up my computer and received no response. No lights, fans or beeps.

I tested the pc using an old PSU (I could only plug in the 2 motherboard cables as the PSU didn’t have the new SATA cables) and the lights and fans powered on correctly.

Assuming that my PSU was the problem I sent it away to claim a warranty on it. The store I sent it to tested it and told me that there was nothing wrong with it. After waiting 20days for them to send it back to me (lazy ****s) I finally got it back today.

I really regret not troubleshooting the problem more as it’s now been more than a month since it stopped working.

Anyway I hooked the PSU back up and it booted up! (WTF?). The problem I’m having now is that there is no POST beep when i boot up. I’ve tried resetting the CMOS by taking out the battery put that didn’t help. Apart from the beep the pc seems to boot up and work properly.

I know that the internal speaker is working because it will beep continuously if I boot up without the power cable in the video card.

I’m worried that the motherboard is going to fail and take some other parts with it. Anyone got any ideas what’s wrong?

Specs:
Q6600 2.4 GHz CPU
8800gt 128mb GPU
2 * 1024mb 800 MHz RAM
550w Antec neo PSU
GA-P35-DS3P Gigabyte MOBO

Blake

Unfortunately, no, you don't. The video card has its own beeper just for detecting a missing power cable. (Don't ask me how I know this. :))

You did install a system speaker?

Try this:
Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU.

If you get the long beeps, add a stick of RAM. Boot. The beep pattern should change to one long and two or three short beeps. Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out the PSU. Long single beeps indicates that the BIOS does not recognize the presence of the RAM.

If you get the one long and two or three short beeps, test the rest of the RAM. If good, install the video card and any needed power cables. If the video card is good, the system should successfully POST (one short beep, usually) and you will see the usual boot messages. I have the same model of motherboard. I turn off the Gigabyte splash screen. I would rather see the boot messages.

Note - you do not need drives or a keyboard to get this far.

If you successfully POST, start plugging in the rest of the components, one at a time.

blakewh

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
LOL I had assumed that the motherboard had a built in speaker. The old one must have fallen out and gotten lost when I was testing the PSU. Just replaced it with a new one and it works!

I still have no idea what was causing the original problem but its fixed now :p

Thankyou so much for your help.