spyware

I was on the phone recently for a few hours with Verizon and Sony trying to
figure out why my dsl connection was so slow. In the end, I think it was a
Verizon problem because the normal speed returned the next day. But the
Sony person suggested I had lots of spyware on my computer and asked whether
I had a spyware removal program. Certainly I hadn't added any myself.

I did a search and found in Docs and Settings: Spyware_Blocker_Defs_b367.
Is that an anti spyware program? If so, does it work automatically?

Jerry Nadelhaft
2 answers Last reply
More about spyware

    Jerome Nadelhaft wrote:
    > I was on the phone recently for a few hours with Verizon and Sony trying to
    > figure out why my dsl connection was so slow. In the end, I think it was a
    > Verizon problem because the normal speed returned the next day. But the
    > Sony person suggested I had lots of spyware on my computer and asked whether
    > I had a spyware removal program. Certainly I hadn't added any myself.
    >
    > I did a search and found in Docs and Settings: Spyware_Blocker_Defs_b367.
    > Is that an anti spyware program?

    It may be part of one.

    > If so, does it work automatically?

    Unlikely, and certainly not by itself.

    To deal with issues caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
    "spyware," such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Smiley Central, Xupiter, Bonzai
    Buddy, or KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately (but
    without understanding the consequences) installed, two products that
    are quite effective (at finding and removing this type of scumware) are
    Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search & Destroy from
    www.safer-networking.org/. Both have free versions. It's even possible
    to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your system against most
    future intrusions. I use both and generally perform manual scans every
    week or so to clean out cookies, etc.

    Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
    varieties of scumware are available here:

    PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
    http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

    More information and assistance is available at these sites:

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    The Parasite Fight
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    There are several essential components to computer security: a
    knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
    reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
    patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

    The weakest link in this "equation" is, of course, the computer
    user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected
    to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many people
    have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing
    claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer should be
    no harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the
    inclination or desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All
    too few people keep their antivirus software current, install patches
    in a timely manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link
    they're about to click.

    Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
    and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
    but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
    user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and
    every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

    To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

    Protect Your PC

    Home Computer Security
    http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

    List of Antivirus Software Vendors
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;49500

    Home PC Firewall Guide
    http://www.firewallguide.com/

    Scumware.com
    http://www.scumware.com/

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    http://www.broomeman.com/spyware/

    Donny Broome
    donny AT broomeman DOT com
    Kill Spyware! Visit:

    "Jerome Nadelhaft" <jjnadelhaft@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >I was on the phone recently for a few hours with Verizon and Sony trying to
    >figure out why my dsl connection was so slow. In the end, I think it was a
    >Verizon problem because the normal speed returned the next day. But the
    >Sony person suggested I had lots of spyware on my computer and asked
    >whether I had a spyware removal program. Certainly I hadn't added any
    >myself.
    >
    > I did a search and found in Docs and Settings: Spyware_Blocker_Defs_b367.
    > Is that an anti spyware program? If so, does it work automatically?
    >
    > Jerry Nadelhaft

Spyware Verizon Windows XP