Sign in with
Your question

My new build isn't working right.....

Last response: in Systems
October 28, 2008 2:25:00 PM

I just put together my first computer. You can see my original posts on the components here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

I got everything hooked up last night and turned it on. All of the fans came on, but no display on the monitor. I also hooked up a keyboard via USB and it doesn't look like it's working (no keyboard light when pushing the light on/off and I did try multiple USB ports). The mobo has a status indicator series of lights that all came on when first turning on the computer, and then after a minute went off. Also, the hard drive light on the front of the computer turned on briefly when turning on the computer, but also goes off after a minute. The graphics card lights and fan also work, so that can't be it. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

More about : build working

October 28, 2008 3:05:34 PM

Did you remember to plug in both the 24-pin motherboard power connector and the 4/8-pin CPU power connector? A lot of people forget the CPU power connector. Here's a picture of your motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=1...

The 4/8-pin CPU power connector is in the lower left of the picture right next to a heatpipe. It's an 8-pin connector with a cover over 4 pins.
October 28, 2008 3:16:07 PM

etavoa said:
I just put together my first computer. You can see my original posts on the components here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

I got everything hooked up last night and turned it on. All of the fans came on, but no display on the monitor. I also hooked up a keyboard via USB and it doesn't look like it's working (no keyboard light when pushing the light on/off and I did try multiple USB ports). The mobo has a status indicator series of lights that all came on when first turning on the computer, and then after a minute went off. Also, the hard drive light on the front of the computer turned on briefly when turning on the computer, but also goes off after a minute. The graphics card lights and fan also work, so that can't be it. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

Yes, I did connect those. I have both the 24-pin and 8-pin connected.
Related resources
October 28, 2008 3:22:55 PM

OK first thing to do is take the RAM out and just use 1 stick to boot with,

Make sure you have seated your GFX card properly, perhaps take it out and reseat it again,

Make sure your CPU 8 pin power connector is pushed home properly,

Make sure your GFX card has the 6 pin connector pushed home properly,

When you boot up your machine hit the delete button and try to get into the bios,

If you can: load fail safe settings and make sure you enable USB keyboard and mouse.

When you have done all that get back here and let us know how you go on, if you have problems try a different stick of RAM.
October 28, 2008 3:40:02 PM

That's true. Running 4 sticks of RAM is harder on the motherboard. I agree with trying to post with 1 stick. If it does post with one stick, make sure to manually set the RAM timings and voltage to the manufacturer's recommended specs. You might even have to go one notch higher than the recommended voltage to get all 4 sticks to run stable.

I saw this first hand recently. I originally built my computer with 2GB of RAM. A few months ago I saw a good deal on the same RAM and bought another 2GB. I originally ran the 2GB at 4-4-4-10 timings at 2.0v. I had to set the timings to 5-4-4-12 at 2.1v. to get all 4 sticks stable.
October 28, 2008 4:15:05 PM

Make sure the small colored pins are hooked up right (the ones that go from the front of the case to mobo). I had this problem initially. The colors of my pins matched the ones on the board, but with incorrect combinations. Take a look at your mobo's manual to make sure which ones go where. I think my red and orange pins were reversed. This will cause all your mobo lights to come on when you plug power in, but nothign happens when you hit the power button.

Could be an issue
October 29, 2008 12:17:06 AM

1) GFX card is in properly. I even tried it in a different PCI Express slot. Again, the card fans come on, so I'm assuming it's working correctly. I also verified that the power is going to it.
2) When booting the machine, nothing comes up on the screen at all, so I'm guessing it's not really "booting". I have a Logitech G11 keyboard, and when I attempt to hit the light key, no lights come on either.
3) I tried booting it with just one stick of RAM and no luck. Same issue.
4) I can't load any fail safe settings as far as I know since nothing comes up at all.
5) I verified that the small connections from the front of the case are in the correct spots. Again, power is there because the fans all come on, etc... Just nothing coming up on screen and the keyboard doesn't appear to work.
October 29, 2008 12:53:38 AM

etavoa said:
1) GFX card is in properly. I even tried it in a different PCI Express slot. Again, the card fans come on, so I'm assuming it's working correctly. I also verified that the power is going to it.
2) When booting the machine, nothing comes up on the screen at all, so I'm guessing it's not really "booting". I have a Logitech G11 keyboard, and when I attempt to hit the light key, no lights come on either.
3) I tried booting it with just one stick of RAM and no luck. Same issue.
4) I can't load any fail safe settings as far as I know since nothing comes up at all.
5) I verified that the small connections from the front of the case are in the correct spots. Again, power is there because the fans all come on, etc... Just nothing coming up on screen and the keyboard doesn't appear to work.

Err...nevermind all this. I just figured out that there are TWO power connections to the graphics card. It's all good now!!!!

Any idea what I do if I get another graphics unit? Do they run off of just one power?
October 29, 2008 1:58:42 AM

If you run two graphics cards you would need two power connections to each card. Your 1000HX is modular and has all the cables you need to run multiple GPU's.
October 29, 2008 2:03:38 AM

Yes, one power supply for everything. Did you get the HX1000 and HD 4870X2? If you want to add the second card you just use two more PCI-E connectors from the PSU, one with 6 pins and one with 8 pins, just like you did for the first card. That PSU has plenty of PCI-E connectors (6 in total).

Edit: shortstuff got there first. Man, dial-up sucks :) 
!