Sign in with
Your question

Phenom in SG03 running too hot, too loud?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cooling
  • Cases
Last response: in CPUs
January 22, 2009 10:56:01 AM

This is kinda of a hard post to fit into the right area as it touches on 3 subjects, overclocking, cases/cooling and CPUs.

I recently bought the Silverstone SGO3 SFF case (its a neat little case if you want something small). The issue with system is that the CPU runs at ~48C idle and ~68C under load. Which is causing the stock cooling that came with the CPU to be overly loud (idle and load sound the same), I don't know if its always supposed to sound really loud beacuse I haven't used stock cooling for a long time.

What is the idle/load temperatures of a 95W Phenom supposed to be?
I know a little about overclocking, but can I safely underclock my CPU in order to maybe get it run cooler if it comes down to it?
What is the sound level of stock cooling supposed to sound like?

AMD 95W Phenom 9500 2.2Ghz w/ Stock
Corsair 8GB DDR2 800
xfx 9800GT
xfx 8200 motherboard
Silverstone SG03 case
Enermax Modu82+ (flipped)
WD 500GB 7200rpm SATA HD
Pioneer 216 DL DVD-RW

More about : phenom sg03 running hot loud

a b à CPUs
January 22, 2009 1:02:40 PM

yeh, those are ok temps... on the edge of being un-ok... I dunno about stock heatsinks but mine was damn quiet (used for a year+)
m
l
January 22, 2009 2:52:00 PM

Hmmm... well if yours is quite then it might not be my CPU fan making the noise. I have a 120mm at the front of the case and a fan on the GPU. I don't think the GPU is making all the noise since the last gefore to do the kind of noise I'm getting now is the one that Nvidia actually mocked themselves (leafblowers). I'll try unplugging the case fan to eliminate the chance the case fan is making the noise.

Also, I have no idea if this would have anything do with it by I am running Windows 7 build 7000. I don't know if your OS influences the fan speeds or if it handled by hardware monitoring.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2009 11:47:52 PM

Well your CPU, considering its temperature, the fan will up its speed to help with the cooling if you have selected smart fan in the BIOS. Since the stock fans aren't exactly the best low rpm coolers...
m
l
January 23, 2009 4:37:33 PM

Thanks for the info amdfangirl.

I've sinced move the some of the cabling that was between the path of the CPU and the Case fan by tying them down to the inside of the case. Hopefully this helps with the problem. I'm pretty sure its the case fan making the noise though. I checked in everest and it reported that the case fan was at ~6000 RPM at the time of my first post, upon boot up (after a long power down) it is at ~3100. The CPU fan I believe both times was ~1200 RPM (not sure though).
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2009 1:01:47 AM

Might also wanna check the thermal paste on that heatsink. free goop is not good. Try some TX-2 or AS5 or something...
m
l
January 24, 2009 3:10:31 AM

The thermal seems to be good, its hard to mess up the stock thermal past since its preapplied. The CPU is running under 63C now that the airflow between the case fan and cpu has been cleared a bit, but the case fan still ramps up to 6250 RPM within 5 minutes everytime I use the computer. I've under speed fan to lower the speed to ~3000 RPM but I'm not familiar enough to airflow and heat to know if this something that will good for my computer.
m
l
January 24, 2009 4:26:49 AM

Well, while the case may have an interesting design, it doesn't appear to be thought out well enough thermally. Such small cases need to be ventilated properly, as the amount of air contained inside is so small. The entire volume of air inside the case can be heated far more rapidly than in a larger case.. and this causes heat buildup. The flip side is that smaller cases are more efficient to cool for the same reason... you can expel the entire volume of air inside the case very quickly with less airflow than a larger case would require.

Your case seems to be lacking proper ventilation for the size. The PSU, right next to the CPU, is acting as the only exhaust for the CPU (and the rest of the air in the case). This is problematic as not all PSU's have very good airflow (fans are often toned down for sound concerns), and many can generate a fair amount of heat by themselves. Some of the PSU's heat is likely radiating into your CPU, and vice-versa.

You could try and find a PSU with a more powerful (but louder) fan, or you could look at other Micro-ATX cases with better cooling configurations. However, the cheapest solution would be to add an additional 120mm fan at the front of the case for more positive airflow as it can house two.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2009 4:43:49 AM

The temps are ok... better theremal paste will help (the free stuff isn't that good).
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2009 4:51:27 AM

Malovane makes a god point.

Add a second 120mm front fan and increase airflow.

Watch Rodney's video at the beginning ... I'd proabably take the dust filter out to see what effect that has on improving airflow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPBSWAJ_aiM
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2009 4:58:47 AM

Reynod said:
Malovane makes a god point.

hehe
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2009 5:02:47 AM

Oops ... 166 posts and I raised his status.

MugZ (our true god) may strike me down with lightning ...
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2009 5:04:52 AM

He may be your god, but I am your master!
m
l
January 25, 2009 2:37:57 PM

I added a second 120mm fan to the case and it signficantly reducded the ambient temperate of the case such that even under prime95's max temp, max power test for 20 mins the fan only ramped up to 4500 RPMs. The cpu was running at ~70C, but I assume that acceptable give the test.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2009 8:09:53 PM

Try a more realistic test... take your rig for some gaming or encoding... I don't usually like anything synthetic or simulated... kinda distorts the picture. But, given the test results, I'll say that kinda temp will only ever happen on extreme days...

pass.

Just wanna know the idle temp.
m
l
January 25, 2009 8:52:36 PM

CPU reads 50C, Core reads 35C at idle now. Also the HDs were reading up around 50C now they are reading 35C.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2009 3:20:46 AM

Excellent results I'd say ...

m
l
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2009 5:19:43 AM

Excellent
m
l