Sign in with
Your question

Memory questions for Asus Motherboard Crosshair III Formula

Last response: in Overclocking
February 22, 2010 3:08:12 PM

Hello,

I am purchasing the ASUS Crosshair III Formula AM3 motherboard and have a question about the memory I want to get. I am purchasing 4 GB of Corsair Memory and I notice that on the motherboard to achieve DDR3 1600, you have to O.C.

What does this mean? I know how to go into the bios and change it to 1600, but what am I Over Clocking? Is the motherboard going to run at higher temperatures, or what effects does it have. I am not going to be doing any over clocking on the cpu or video cards. I plan on having this computer for a long time and I don't want to put any extra wear or stress on my computer.

Thanks for your replies.

ASUS Crosshair III Formula AM3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : memory questions asus motherboard crosshair iii formula

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2010 4:11:32 AM

What they are referring to is that 1600 is an over clock. 1333 is the JDEC standard for DDR3 memory. So when you set it to 1600 you are actually Over Clocking your memory (which some have struggled to achieve). Nothing to worry about, it shouldn't shorten the life of it.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2010 6:56:18 PM

unclefester said:
What they are referring to is that 1600 is an over clock. 1333 is the JDEC standard for DDR3 memory. So when you set it to 1600 you are actually Over Clocking your memory (which some have struggled to achieve). Nothing to worry about, it shouldn't shorten the life of it.

I'm sorry but this is not correct. The memory is rated and certified at 1600 so you will not be OCing it. What ASUS is stating is that you will need to OC your memory controller to run the memory at 1600 as the memory controller is rated at 1333 maximum.
m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2010 7:33:13 PM

XMSYellowbeard said:
I'm sorry but this is not correct. The memory is rated and certified at 1600 so you will not be OCing it. What ASUS is stating is that you will need to OC your memory controller to run the memory at 1600 as the memory controller is rated at 1333 maximum.

OK , thanks, Yeah it didn't make sense that the memory is being overclocked when it is rated at 1600.

Does OC a memory controller controller add heat or wear and tear to the motherboard?

Thanks
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2010 7:34:59 PM

Perhaps a little to the board but that would depend on how robust ASUS builds it. It is more likely to add it to the CPU.
m
l
!