RAM Problem ASROCK G31M-S

I recently bought a new mobo, ASRock G31M-S
I still had some RAM somewhere: 2x 2GB DDR2 800
I installed everything correctly and then the thing won't boot up at all.
I have checked the Timings the Motherboard for Jumpers the bios, EVERYTHING! I need help...
20 answers Last reply
More about problem asrock g31m
  1. How did you check everything? Does it POST (probably if you checked the settings in the BIOS), but it doesn't boot from the DVD or the hard disk? If so, what is the boot order?
  2. Boot Order = 1: HDD
    2: DVD
    3: USB
  3. Please list system specs.Dahak

    ASUS P5N-D
    C2D E8500 STOCK
    ZALMAN 9500 CPU COOLER
    2X2GIG DDR2 1066 IN DC MODE
    TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
    EVGA GTX 260
    SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
    LG 24IN WS LCD 1920X1080
    250GIG HD/500GIG HD
    LOGITECH G15 GAMING KEYBOARD
    G5 GAMING MOUSE
    LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
    500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
    WIN XP PRO
  4. My System Specs are:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
    2 x 2GB DDR2 800 (Only 1 in use cause of RAM Problem.) OCZ RAM Timings are: 4-4-4-15 and 5-4-4-15
    ASROCK G31M-S
    ATI Radeon HD 3870
    Chieftec CFT-500A

    If you wanna need more information please see

    Both RAM sticks are working and both slots on the MOBO working too, but al together my pc won't even POST :( no beep ...
  5. iantjuh said:
    Boot Order = 1: HDD
    2: DVD
    3: USB

    Is an OS installed on the hard disk? If not, then it shouldn't be the first boot device. The order should be DVD, HDD and USB if you'll never boot from a USB device.
  6. Yeah I know I made a mistake when writing that :)

    The actual boot order is DVD then HDD then USB
    and yes there is a OS installed on the Hard disk. But it will never even reach to the screen cause the thing won't boot it wil turn on you see the fans spinning and the lights turned on and then that is all that happens.... the motherboard is new and it works with only one ram stick
  7. iantjuh said:
    Yeah I know I made a mistake when writing that :)

    The actual boot order is DVD then HDD then USB
    and yes there is a OS installed on the Hard disk. But it will never even reach to the screen cause the thing won't boot it wil turn on you see the fans spinning and the lights turned on and then that is all that happens.... the motherboard is new and it works with only one ram stick

    The system POST, but it doesn't boot. Am I correct? Start by fixing your memory issues. What memory modules do you have and what are your current memory settings? Since you bought overclocked memory, you need to set it up manually as per the manufacturer's specs (timings and voltage).

    Does the system boot from a bootable CD or DVD? Does it start booting from the hard disk at all?
  8. GhislainG said:
    The system POST, but it doesn't boot. Am I correct? Start by fixing your memory issues. What memory modules do you have and what are your current memory settings? Since you bought overclocked memory, you need to set it up manually as per the manufacturer's specs (timings and voltage).

    Does the system boot from a bootable CD or DVD? Does it start booting from the hard disk at all?


    No the system does not post I do have a Bootable CD but I can't even see the display turning on (You know as an example the off color is orange and the active color is blue it stays orange) :(
  9. I'm confused. You provide a boot order, but the system doesn't POST. How did you verify/change the boot order or any other setting?

    Back to the basics. Insert a single memory module. Does the system POST?
  10. GhislainG said:
    I'm confused. You provide a boot order, but the system doesn't POST. How did you verify/change the boot order or any other setting?

    Back to the basics. Insert a single memory module. Does the system POST?


    Yes when I only insert one Ram module the system boots and posts but if I insert 2 RAM modules the PC won't post
  11. How did you set your RAM?
  12. GhislainG said:
    How did you set your RAM?


    What do you mean with how did you set your RAM? the Timings or the FSB??? if so: the timings are 5-4-4-15 and the fsb = 1333 mhz downgraded from a 1600 fsb. The RAM is 800 Mhz
  13. I also have exactly the same problem with the same Chip and I will check on my
    ram but the system does not even post all there is is a mini light show from my Gigabyte Cpu fan. No beep, no white screen yet power is moving through the system.

    Im going to have the components tested will let you know.
  14. Quote:
    I also have exactly the same problem with the same Chip and I will check on my
    ram but the system does not even post all there is is a mini light show from my Gigabyte Cpu fan. No beep, no white screen yet power is moving through the system.

    Im going to have the components tested will let you know.


    I have fixed the problem I have bought the same RAM stick of the one that was already in... Now the problem is fixed I can boot with 4GB DDR2 RAM, thx any way :)
  15. iantjuh said:
    I have fixed the problem I have bought the same RAM stick of the one that was already in... Now the problem is fixed I can boot with 4GB DDR2 RAM, thx any way :)

    so it means you gotta have both of the same ram?
    I currently have 512 and tried inserting 1 gig ram but it wont start but boots.nothing in the screen.so you mean i have to buy another 1 gig ram?
  16. Anonymous_33 said:
    so it means you gotta have both of the same ram?
    I currently have 512 and tried inserting 1 gig ram but it wont start but boots.nothing in the screen.so you mean i have to buy another 1 gig ram?


    If you have 512 and want to have 1 GB extra that won't work. If you wanna boot succesfully you have to buy an extra RAM module, either 512 MB or 1 GB, MUST BE EXACTLY THE SAME! timings and all that stuff.
  17. iantjuh said:
    If you have 512 and want to have 1 GB extra that won't work. If you wanna boot succesfully you have to buy an extra RAM module, either 512 MB or 1 GB, MUST BE EXACTLY THE SAME! timings and all that stuff.


    That helped, thank you!
  18. oh yeah is ASrock always that retarded?So what you mean by timings and all that stuffs?what did you exactly do?
  19. the retard is the one trying to combine different type of memory sticks, any motherboard will be confused in that kind of configuration.

    pick dual or single channel memory and stick with it, what's the use of configuring you computer to overclock when your memory is not in sync.

    its like running a sports car in a diesel fuel, ciao!
  20. I love this cheap Asrock g-31ms.no complain for running under Windows XP. but things that disappointed is, i CAN NOT install fedora 9 with this motherboard,with symptom "there is no hard drives found in the system"
    the SATAa and IDE hdd can not recognized by all my old Linux distro.

    My suspect is because the fedora 9 itself is older than this product.

    For Anyone, grateful can share same experience with me, and how to solve the problems.

    Thanks.

    rudik3055@yahoo.com
Ask a new question

Read More

Tivo RAM ASrock Home Theatre