Sign in with
Your question

URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!

Last response: in Systems
October 28, 2008 8:08:31 PM

I have a serious issue on my hand. Lately my system has been freezing/locking up and randomly rebooting. And now it has gotten worse, probably as worse as it can go....It does not boot into XP. It shows the XP loading screen but then it just freezes there.

My system specs are:

MSI K8MM3V 754 MATX motherboard
CPU: AMD athlon 64bit 3400+ 2.4GHZ
1gig ddr400
200gig seagate baracuda
Nec Dual Layer DVD Burner
Avermedia M150 TV Tuner card
PNY Geforce 7600GS 512mb
Ultra 400watt Powersupply.

I know my components are outdated but I haven't had time to update this system since i am usually on my laptop I jus use the desktop to do extremely light gaming and to burn my movies and Music.
I have tried 2 other powersupplies in the system and nothing has worked.I know for sure it is not the ram because i have ran memtest86 on it and it returned with no errors saying all the memory passed.

PLEASE I AM IN DESPERATE NEED OF HELP!!

More about : urgent needed

October 28, 2008 8:27:11 PM

Maybe try repairing or resintalling XP? If you're sure it's not the RAM my next thought would be the HD may be going south.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2008 8:27:35 PM

I would check seagate's website for any hardrive testing software. If it passes, then I would guess it's something in the motherboard. Also check window's device manager in the control panel for any conflicts. If a device driver doesn't load, it will have a mark next to it.
Related resources
October 28, 2008 8:28:43 PM

Run scandisk on the drive and check for errors and bad sectors; you may have to pull the drive out and use a USB adaptor (everyone should have one!) to test from your laptop.

could be a simple fix, or maybe it's just a boot sector issue.
October 28, 2008 8:31:39 PM

Hi its me again

I actually think its the harddrive because i have taken it out and replaced it with an 80 gig drive i bought and installed XP on it and it booted. and has been on and running. also i have attached the 200gig to the machine as a slave and i can access it so.....does this mean everything is fine now?
October 28, 2008 8:50:35 PM

Uh.. kinda. I would remove all the data off that 200 gig, odds are fairly high it will fail soon. It did sound like a hard drive failure form the description, but test to be sure, you don't want to leave your data on a dying drive.
October 28, 2008 8:59:08 PM

Just 'chkdsk /r' your drive (using command prompt of course) and see if it finds any bad sectors. It's just as likely that Windows needed to be reinstalled as it is the hard drive is bad. If chkdsk /r doesn't find any bad sectors then you're probably ok.
October 28, 2008 10:06:08 PM

ok i will run a scan on it to see wat happens and i will get back to you all with the results
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2008 10:36:04 PM

Download and run speedfan. Click the SMART tab to read the SMART data for the 200GB drive. Might give you some insights on the drive.
October 28, 2008 11:37:49 PM

Hi i'm back.

i went onto the seagate site and downloaded the seatool diagnostic tool. i then shut down and set the 200gig drive as master and disconnected the 80gig. i then ran the seatool diagnostic tool. from the beginning it recognize the drive and says:
SMART is supported and has NOT been TRIPPED.

i then ran the diagnostic tool. i ran the basic test 5 times and each time the results are the same: PASSED!

I have now left it to run the long,advanced test. I will return with the results
October 28, 2008 11:46:59 PM

arson94 said:
Just 'chkdsk /r' your drive (using command prompt of course) and see if it finds any bad sectors. It's just as likely that Windows needed to be reinstalled as it is the hard drive is bad. If chkdsk /r doesn't find any bad sectors then you're probably ok.
I agree, a corrupt OS doesn't necessarily mean bad drive.
October 29, 2008 2:43:26 AM

so i just finished running the seagate tool and it says the harddrive passed and when i restart windows actually boots but then it takes me to a screen where it looks like i am installing xp all over again. i guess this happened because before running seatool i tried to repair my XP install. so now it looks like the drive is operational again. What does this mean?
a b B Homebuilt system
October 29, 2008 3:21:52 AM

Probably wasn't the drive? Get rid of the tuner card in case thats it. Check the motherboard for bad caps, and make sure the power plugs are in tight. (pull them and make sure they aren't burned.) Reseat the ram as well. Any chance the other two PSUs might not have been good? (or powerful enough)
October 29, 2008 3:49:00 AM

It seems that it XP did indeed need to be reinstalled. But, I'd set your 80GB as master and boot from it to run chkdsk /r on your 200GB to make sure all bad sectors are flagged if any exists. If there are bad sectors, you'll run into problems even with a fresh install if chkdsk /r isn't ran to flag the bad sectors so data on them is moved to good sectors and isn't written to them anymore. And, bad sectors doesn't constitute a bad drive either. Unless you have constat data corruption, weird ass noises, and/or SMART is triggered, then bad sectors aren't worth fretting over after chkdsk flags them.

Just a side note, if you have any ghost images on a drive or partition, don't chkdsk it before moving the images somewhere else. chkdsk will see the Master File Table and/or the Master Boot Record in the images as bad sectors with data, flag them, move the data to other sectors, and royally screw your images.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 29, 2008 3:51:26 AM

Your drive could be fine, could be that you just need to re-install windows on that 200GB drive. If you didn't hear any clicking then it's more likely a corrupted windows installation than a problem with the hard drive itself.
October 29, 2008 3:51:57 AM

4745454b said:
Probably wasn't the drive? Get rid of the tuner card in case thats it. Check the motherboard for bad caps, and make sure the power plugs are in tight. (pull them and make sure they aren't burned.) Reseat the ram as well. Any chance the other two PSUs might not have been good? (or powerful enough)

+1 on checking that. But if the 80G worked then what?
a b B Homebuilt system
October 29, 2008 4:32:11 AM

Good point yourself. If the 80GB worked fine, it wasn't a hardware issue. Corrupted Windows is most likely.
October 29, 2008 1:46:56 PM

I'm back
so as i said lastnight after running a long diagnostic on the 200gig drive that returned with a pass. i rebooted and try to boot into XP with only the 200gig connected. It booted windows but then took me to a screen that looked like it was re-installing windows.It then asked me to insert my xp installation disk which i did and i jus left it alone.Half way through its set up I got a BSOD and i couldnt even use CLTR-ALT-DEL to reboot.

so i rebooted and when i tried to boot into xp again off the 200gig it just freezes at the XP loading screen. I pulled the 200gig out and put the 80gig back in as master and tried to boot into the xp i had on the 80gig and it booted in successfully.

so right now the machine is sitting there running with the 80gig harddrive alone connect. any thoughts??
!