Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
Hi, I recently purchased a HD 4850 for my computer. My specs are as follows

AMD Phenom 9850
500GB HD
4GB RAM DDR2
Creative X-Fi Fatality
Palit 4850 Radeon

I have a widescreen monitor with a max resolution of 1680x1050 which is the resolution I always play at. Is my current graphics good enough to play games at maximum details (crysis excluded lol) or should I send this card back and get another one ?

I'm not too worried about money, but I do prefer value for money. I don't want a card that is ridiculously far above it's capabilities at 1680 resolution, just one (or crossfire) that does well over 50-60 frames at this resolution (I can't tell over 60 frames lol).

Just to give you a general idea of what I play and will be playing, Mass Effect, Fallout 3, FarCry 2, Dragon Age, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Crysis Warhead, Warhammer 40k DoW 2 ... etc

Any thoughts ?

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
I dont think at the current state you need something more than 4850 and everything above is not worth it at the moment for your screen. There will be update in both camps nVidia and Ati soon so you better wait before upgrading.

I think that card will hold you at least until next summer

Zenthar

Distinguished
A 4850 should be enough for most games, I got a 8800GTS (G92) and I can even play Crysis with high settings at that resolution (with some slow-downs from time to time) so with a 4850 you should have no trouble.