9800gt power supply

dementiak

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
i just bought a palit 9800gt 1gig video card.

I installed it and connected the power supply (its a cord that splits from one black square socket to 2 standard white power sockets)

I attached the 2 white sockets to my power supply and the machine would not start up.... it would wait maybe 10 seconds then give that beep when you install hardware incorrectly.

So i tried pulling out one of the power supplies.... and now it works.

Owners of palit 9800gt how did you install your power supply? 1 or 2 white plugs connected? (i dont want to accidentally destroy my card due to underpowering it if the 2 plugs need to be connected) (my power supply is 500 watts btw)

been searching the net and can't find any answers, any help would be great. thanks!

----------

edit:
here's the power cord i'm talking about.

dementiak

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
is the black socket ont the adapter the PCIe 6 pin connector ? if so then my power supply doesn't have one.

my power supply is some generic 500 watt psu.

re: What are the specs of your current power supply? Those are the 12V, 3V, 5V labeled stuff in the sticker in your PSU.--- i don't quite follow, what do you need to know, i see the sticker and the designated numbers to each wire color and to what i think are the amp ratings. ( sorry noob alert)

---------------

so do i need to attach the 2 white sockets? (assuming ample power is present)

dementiak

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
So i figured it was stupid to run the thing on just one of the white power connectors even if it seemed to be working. ( why would they put 2 if you only needed one, right?)

I re-installed the card , reconnected the 2 white power plugs... and then it just worked... it must've been loose or something the first time.

all i need now is a plug splitter to power my 2 dvd drives (i disabled one for now)

OR go out and get a a better PSU as you guys suggested. (maybe something higher than a 500 watt PSU)

thanks for the replies.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Its not the wattage rating you should be concerned with, 500W is plenty for a single graphics card setup. As Shadow said, you want to get one from a reputable vendor. Find a good deal on a PSU from one of the companies he listed (Rated anywhere from 450W to 600W) and let the good times roll.

Having said that, a power supply is a long term investment that can be used for several builds. If you have any kind of inkling that you may want to try out multi-card setups later on, be sure to get something rated for 600W or more.

dementiak

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
thanks for the extra tip.. actually i upgraded from a dual 8500 (sli) setup.... got so freaking dissapointed with that one so i trashed the 2 cards and bought a single 9800gt when the price went down. (mental note always read reviews on the net before buying anything. man those 8500's sucked big time.)

i'll prob get a new psu when and if i decide to get another 9800. thanks again.