Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Freezes at Starting Windows Screen

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
September 9, 2011 1:22:19 PM

Hey guys, I’m running Windows 7 Ultimate, all updates installed, and Windows freezes at the Starting Windows screen quite often. The solution is to restart the computer, and it will always boot up successfully the 2nd time. I’d say this happens for at least a third of startups, if not half. I haven’t tried anything to fix it, but I’m sitting at work with a minute to spare, and thought I’d ask if this was a common issue with an easy solution. If not, is there some log file I can check to see what’s going on?

My hardware is listed in my signature.

Thanks
September 9, 2011 1:33:31 PM

its possible your overclocking a bit much. you could try stock settings and restart a few times. ive had my overclocks freeze windows but not programs/games before.
that and software bugs is all i can think of right now.
good luck
m
l
September 9, 2011 1:35:24 PM

I did try putting my graphics card to stock speeds (or even below stock speeds), and my CPU should be running at something like 1.6GHz until the extra cycles are actually needed, right?
m
l
Related resources
September 9, 2011 1:51:45 PM

moogleslam said:
Hey guys, I’m running Windows 7 Ultimate, all updates installed, and Windows freezes at the Starting Windows screen quite often. The solution is to restart the computer, and it will always boot up successfully the 2nd time. I’d say this happens for at least a third of startups, if not half. I haven’t tried anything to fix it, but I’m sitting at work with a minute to spare, and thought I’d ask if this was a common issue with an easy solution. If not, is there some log file I can check to see what’s going on?

My hardware is listed in my signature.

Thanks

This may indicate a hard drive problem:
Go to computer right click on c: drive and select properties tools tabs-error checking and click check now and check the 2 boxes for fix errors and repair bad sectors.

Yes to check on reboot then restart windows and watch the scan at the end if it says bad sectors 1 or greater your hard drive is failing and needs to be replaced if bad sectors is 0 your safe crosslinked files can cause these booting problems so it may fix your problem.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 9, 2011 1:53:43 PM

I would also suggest it's because of your massive overclock (4.9Ghz is really pushing the limit of the 2600k on AIR).

I would take your OC down a notch or 2, say 4.4-4.5Ghz. If you want to keep your overclock...i would suggest some guides online on adjusting your voltage for your processor - it may be under or over what it should be (possibly).

You are right, your processor will idle at 1.6Ghz, but ANY kind of program use will make it use full power, including booting up.

I would check your CPU and RAM just to be sure your ram isn't messed up.

CPU - Prime 95

RAM - memtest86
m
l
September 16, 2011 12:07:50 AM

Real simple answer - BIOS update fixed it. 5GHz is next :) 
m
l
!