Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Vista Processor Power Management

Last response: in Overclocking
February 22, 2010 9:01:39 PM

I discovered the option in Vista's advanced power settings that (theoretically) lets you chose the clock speed of your processor. It didn't seem to work for me (on my laptop) so I got RightMark CPU Clock Utility that shows me my clocks. This is what I discovered: When the power plan is set to High Performance, the CPU is clocked at full regardless of what I set the processor state to. When set to Balanced, I noticed that I do have control of which of 3 states (clocks and voltage) the processor can be set to. However, when set to allow all 3 states, the clock speed and voltage fluctuates between the states every second. Is this safe for the CPU? I noticed when set to Power Saver, the CPU will still go to full clock speed but does not fluctuate between low and full clock speed as much.

Which is the best option? I can always set the clock to be always on full. By the way, RightMark is unable to affect the clock speeds and voltages for my laptop. Also, by CPU, I mean both cores of my Core 2 Duo.

One more thing, RightMark lies about what the core temps are. I've noticed that they are always around 5C below what SpeedFan and Nvidia System Monitor say and once it said that one core was 17C, well below room temperature. Just wanted to through this out there.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 22, 2010 11:27:33 PM

Hi man,

Use cpuz to measure cpu sppeds and realtemp to montior temps. Dont use the program you are using now.

The power savings functions wheree the cpu changes clockspeeds based on load is 100% safe. Intel actually put this feature into their cpus. This option will be the best for battery life and performance. It is alomost useless on a desktop though because it wont cut the power that much.
February 23, 2010 12:32:22 AM

It is a really nice job what you did with Windows Vista Power Management. But everytime I click that button, I want my system to shut down. I shut down often. It does not shutdown, but goes to standby and never ever hibernates or sleeps.
m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2010 9:53:01 PM

overshocked said:
Hi man,

Use cpuz to measure cpu sppeds and realtemp to montior temps. Dont use the program you are using now.

The power savings functions wheree the cpu changes clockspeeds based on load is 100% safe. Intel actually put this feature into their cpus. This option will be the best for battery life and performance. It is alomost useless on a desktop though because it wont cut the power that much.

As for the gpu, I noticed that it will clock up all at once, but will downclock in steps. Do you know if this is just to avoid the possibility of it completely underclocking in a game or (unlike the cpu,) does it hurt the gpu to downclock suddenly?
m
l
February 23, 2010 9:55:02 PM

One more thing, does selecting the best answer give the person any sort of reward? (Otherwise in a thread this small there would be no point.)
m
l
!