BSoD on XP64 after installing windows auto updates

Xephonic

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Hi, I just installed XP64 SP2 on my new system. It works perfectly fine until i run and install windows auto-update program. After everything installs and reboots, I get a BSoD dealing with disk.sys and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. I have 8GB Ram on an ASUS Maximus 2 board, but i dont know if its ram. It works A-ok before the updates are installed. Any ideas?

Xephonic

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
I know I could do it one by one, but considering there are 60 updates and thatd require 60 restarts..I'd only want to do that as last resort.

I did the express install on the updates

Run memtest to be sure and try loading a Linux Live DVD to see if it's stable. Sounds like it could be a RAM problem, or vitrual memory system problem dealing with disk caching, or even a problem with a memory controller driver. Try turning off virtual memory by setting it to no paging file. With that much RAM you should be fine and may even boost performance for you a little. If it works fine then I would guess that it's an update dealing with a part of the virtual memory system such as disk caching, or a bad driver somewhere that doesn't like that update :D.