Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P problem

atreyu666

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P, Socket-AM3 AMD 790FX+SB750, ATX, DDR3 , Firewire, 2xGbLAN, 2x
+
AMD Phenom? II X4 810 Quad Core 95W, Socket AM3, 4MB, 45nm, Boxed
+
OCZ Reaper HPC DDR3 1333MHz 4GB Kit w/two 2GB Reaper DDR3, CL9-9-9-2

I cant get this to work, i have try everthing.. New psu, one stick/two stick..

I dont want to send it back, i have be wating for this so long time now...

Mondoman

Splendid
What exactly is the problem? If it just doesn't turn on, check to make sure the RAM meets the DDR3 spec voltage of 1.5V. If it's rated at a higher (overclocked) voltage, you may have to get some standard DDR3 memory to get the MB to boot.

atreyu666

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Yes it just dont turn on.. HD turn on, cpu fan..

the spec for RAM
1333MHz DDR3
CL 9-9-9-20
(CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
Available in 2GB and 4GB Dual Channel Kits
Unbuffered
OCZ Lifetime Warranty
1.7 Volts
240 Pin DIMM

So its maybe that problem you think..
I need memory that are 1.5v or?

becomingcloser

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
I just finished a build with this board, a 720 black, and mushkin ddr3 two nights ago and had no trouble.

If your fans and HD are spinning up, it would appear to be booting. Do you have a pc speaker plugged in? If so, are you getting any beep codes? If not, that would be the first thing I would do. Beyond that, you would definitely want to look into your video card. What kind are you using?

ztyhurst

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
I also have that MB and a 720 and no issues. I am using OCZ Reaper 1600 ram that I under-clocked to 1333. I had to set it to 1.9 volts for it to be stable, but did not have an issue getting the system to POST. You will want to set your RAM to 1.7 volts when you do finally get into the BIOS.

I'm with "becomingcloser" on this one. Hook up a PC speaker and see if you get any beeps.

G

hi there i want to build my new pc i really love amd .
i have a quest, can i take a board (am3) and put the phenom ii 940 (am2+)
also are u happy with am3 ? i want to play games and i was think to build the pc with new ati 4890 what do u think?
my email is www.love.bacardi@hotmail.com

bizarroGhandi

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Did you ever get a resolution to this problem? I am having the same issue. I can't get any kind of display to work. It starts to boot. All the fans and lights come on, it give a system beep. Then nothing happens for a few seconds until another beep and this keeps repeating. I'm guessing that this is the continuous short beep which means power error. That or it is just stuck in a power cycle loop and it is really the beep for a successful boot. I'm just not sure if I have a power supply problem or the motherboard itself is bad.

nasrudin666

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
I'm also having similar problems :\

I power the system up, the fans/HDD start up, but I don't get to the POST (no beeps from the speaker at all), and nothing comes up on my monitor.

AM3 720 BE, Geil DDR3 1333Mhz (2x 2GB - 1.5V), 8600 GT, 420W PSU...

Everything is plugged in correctly (reassembled the entire PC 3 times so far), nothing is causing a short, all mobo cables, fans, etc properly plugged in...

What really troubles me is I don't even get a POST / diagnostic error beeps - sounds as if I got a DoA mobo... but thought I'd check before sending it back.

SU_Builder

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
Having the same issue as bizarroGhandi ... I'm running this board with the following:

Processor: AMD 955 Black
RAM: OCZ Reaper 10666 - 4 sticks for total fo 8gb
Power Supply: Corsair 1000w supply
Video: EVGA GTX-260
Hard Drives: 2 Seagate 1TB
Optical 2: Panasonic DVD-RW
Case Antec 900

When I power up i get the continuous short beeps, no post on the monitor...
Have RMA's the board and the Power Supply - tried the processor in another board and it posts fine....

Have pulled everything possible out of the board and still get the string of beeps and no video..
Have put in another video card - same thing....

Ran it with no RAM or Video - nothing but the board and processor - same codes from the speaker....

Have been working with PCs for a long time and I'm stumped on this problem....

Any input would be appreciated... Thanks...

SU_Builder

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
I think I might be on to something - I believe it might be BIOS related.....

See what you think... The 955 processor was released this spring (April from what I can find)- It requires the latest BIOS version, F5C.... I'm sure this board does not have that version.... The original release version is F3.... So I think I will have to put in an older version processor - an 810 - get it running and flash it so I can put the newer processor in.... (since I can't even get to a post and since all their BIOS upgrades are Windows based installs)....

Here are the links to what I found - see what you think....

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=3005#anchor_os

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=3005#anchor_os

From what I'm seeing, most of us who have the newer processor are experiencing what I'm seeing with my board - which is not up to current BIOS versions (I am assuming since I can even post)... AND those who have the older processors are not reporting this problem....

I am going to order an 810 and try this theory.... Will post what I find....

nasrudin666

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
I've now managed to get my new system POSTing - and even booting (mostly).

I've now run into another issue however - it's highly unstable, the new system will often freeze or reset under heavy load, or consistent load.

For example, to diagnose what this problem might be - I ran memtest86+ with both my sticks of memory installed, ~30 minutes into memtest - it 'froze', it was no longer testing (stopped ~65% through the entire set of tests) - I could no longer access the memtest menu, but it wasn't completely 'frozen' in the sense that the red + (in Memtest86+) at the top-left of the screen was still blinking...

Similarly, i had a very hard time getting an OS to install completely before resetting - and after I did get a successful install, any intensive task will instantly cause the computer to freeze (just... freeze, no reset, no corruption, just frozen on the last video frame, no longer responding to input, or anything).

I did eventually get back to running memtest86+ (started half way through the tests, to make sure it got through it all), and both the first, and last time I ran memtest, it reported 0 errors. So I can only assume it's the motherboard or PSU (running a 420W PSU).

I've submitted an RA request to my supplier, but it would be nice if this was just a simple issue I could fix (that I've overlooked?), without forking out the cash to ship it across the country, have them test it and find out I simply didn't do something properly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

To recap, memory appears fine - multiple memtests, with one/both sticks 'eventualy' (after a few freezes) pass with 0 errors, CPU is likely fine - else it wouldn't have installed/run the OS without issue for 40+ mins, assuming motherboard/PSU could have issues (or maybe I haven't setup the 12V and ATX power connectors properly?)

Cheers

bizarroGhandi

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Ok, I did some more research and it sounded like having the original version of the bios shouldn't stop it from booting, the CPU just runs at half its speed.

I decided to do something crazy and contact Gigabyte support. They told me to remove both memory sticks and try again. If I still get the same beep pattern, that I should reset the bios by removing the battery for 5 seconds. Then try one memory stick at a time in the slot closest to the CPU. I did this and they were right. One of my memory sticks is bad. It boots fine with one, but won't boot at all with the other.

SU_Builder

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
Okay Everyone,

Here are the results from my tests....

Got the 810 processor, plugged it in with all my other components and fired it up... AND - same beep codes...

That was it - I like the concept of this board and I know some people are getting it and it works fine, but this was the second board and it responded the same way as the first with the exact same beep codes...

So, I ordered an Asus M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard from Newegg, plugged in all my other supporting hardware, fired it up and - IT WORKS!!!

So I never solved this issue, but I think I can conclude that I was the recipient of two bad Mobos....

Everything is working fine with the Asus board....

brewster0101

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
I have the gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P which is the 790X version I have had no end of issues with this board. I got OCZ ddr3 1600mghz memory because of the impressive timings. Took me ages to get a stable boot.

Having issues clocking my 720BE over 3.4ghz, system just is not stable with many options. And to tail it all of, my Lan port has a loud pitched noise when active.. How dam annoying.....

brewster0101

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007

Bios can be updated through USB drive or floppy drive without windows.

SU_Builder

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
According to Gigabyte's website, you can flash through one of three ways including what you suggest, but in my case and others with the beep code failures, the machine will not even post, so you cannot even get to a DOS prompt or even a BIOS screen for that matter.... The board simply does not run.... Otherwise that would be an option....

As I mentioned above, all my other components proved good in the Asus board... both my Gigabyte boards were DOA with the same issue...

Cyy

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
What did you change to get the post screen come up? I have the same problem with this board where the fans and drives come on but no beeps and no post screen. I am hoping to find a solution.

suemccartin

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Yet another unhappy customer with what seems to be a dead board.

I got a sapphire HD 4830 with 1 meg onboard, 2 patriot 1066 2 gig chips (double sided), Coolmax 700watt ps with the extra 8 pin connector and crossfire certified (that I put on a tester and it showed fine), phenom II x4 810 cpu and a sata dvd burner.

First time I assembled it I got single repeating, what I'd call long beep, played with the video card, no change, move the ram chips around no change. Even ran out today and bought a lower end pcie card to pop in to test with.

Unfortunately DDR3 is so new that nobody in town carries ddr3 yet on the shelf. I had thought about buying mushkin but the patriots were on sale at directron.com so I went with those. Are all DDR3 made in the same way, i.e. 4 chips on each side instead of like older tech that was a bank of vertically mounted chips across each side? In the old days the smaller number of chip tech was considered inferior and often didn't work in boards not designed with it in mind--but I don't know if DDR3 is all made that way or not, I did see that they are sold single and double sided as was the case in the past. Lets compare notes here, for the folks whose systems run, how are your memory chips put together and what speed chips are you running with?

I've read of folks having similar issues with the Sapphire card, but I get the same thing with the other card I bought to swap in for a test. Now I'm really sorry I didn't pay the 20 buck test thing with directron because I may not be typing this if I did.

Like others in here I get lit up board, fans and hard drive spinning but no post and no video, at first I was getting repeating beep (I'd say long beep not short beep) which is supposedly video. The system would also respond to holding in the power button for shut down.

I pulled the board out and hooked it all up for a bench test, I got no beep or anything then and it no longer shuts off from the power switch. I had a small batch of those tiny washers that used to come with motherboards so I tried putting those on the screws when I put it back in the case. Now I get nothing at all with either the sapphire card or the cheaper one i tried for a swap. I just wish I'd been able to find some ddr3 locally because that would have helped too. I pulled the fan off the cpu, all was seated right no crap on the pins or anything.

I'm at my wits end, I checked, one patriot chip is on gigabyte's list but not the particular ones I have. I was wondering if the slow memory could be part of it but I see folks on here with faster memory also having issues. The patriot packaging or lable is not listed as to voltage.

I've always had such excellent experiences with gigabyte products, this is terrifically disappointing especially since this was for a friend; who now looks at me like I lied to him, LOL. I've done everything I can think of short of swapping the cpu and the memory (which I don't have spares of because this is the first DDR3 setup I've worked on and no spare cpus because my own setup is still AM2+ which I'd try in here if this board supported it but it doesn't).

Lets compare notes on the memory stick construction and speeds, I'm having a feeling that's a part of it. Agggggggggggh I'd hate to send this back and not just because I'll be paying the shipping back.

bilbat

Splendid
Now I'm really sorry I didn't pay the 20 buck test thing with directron
If, by this, you are saying that your vendor would have tested your components 'all at once' to ensure that they are both functional and compatible, yes, you shot yourself in the foot for twenty bucks! I've never heard of 'em, but, if their prices are anyplace close to comparable to what I pay at NewEgg, I'd switch my business to them just because they offer that service! I, too, have had great luck with GB, and think they make simply the best boards available...

I've always had such excellent experiences with gigabyte products, this is terrifically disappointing especially since this was for a friend; who now looks at me like I lied to him, LOL.

Just tell your buddy you think it's probably because he's bad luck!

You don't want to use insulating washers on the standoffs. The standoff mounting holes are designed to be part of the MOBO's grounding solution - if you examine them, you'll see a ring of radially oriented solder pads surrounding them - that's to ensure good contact to your case's ground plane. Another precaution I always take, is to 'scrape off' a screw hole on the PSU (usually use an emery board to remove the paint) and run an actual grounding jumper, with soldered ring lugs (and green wire - it's got to be green, so the electrons know which way to 'march' :pt1cable: ), from the PSU shell to the case, once again, to be sure of my ground plane.

I'm kinda dire about memory other than mushkin, G.Skill, or OCZ - but, that said, Corsair seems to be redeeming themselves in the DDR3 market. I recently was working on a problem for someone, looked up some Corsair and Kingston DDR3, and the only spec either one listed was "CAS7" - no voltage, no 'rest of the timings', and. worst of all, no way to find any of it on their support sites from the part number! Ackk!

A few checks on 'first start' milestones: Did you:

Try it with just one (first one, then, the other) stick of RAM? (and try the one stick in different slots, to eliminate possibility of a bad slot connector?)

Start with a CMOS reset, followed by a "Load Optimized Defaults"? (Ack, that's right - you've got no video!!!)

What CPU are you using - possible problem with no 'micro-code' support with newer CPUs on older BIOS? I have heard of people doing 'blind flashes' with no video, and I know the procedure, but I'm really hesitant to recommend it to anyone - the whole idea just makes me cringe! Maybe, once everything else fails - probably something to try once you've arranged the RMA :sarcastic:

suemccartin

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

It's a 810 phenom II x4 2.6ghz. I have seen an unsupported processor situation on a previous install and it did act a bit like this but since someone else on here said he was getting an 810 to trouble shoot I'm assuming it should be supported.

I kinda wish this had socketed bios chips, would make it easy to just have gigabyte send me a chip programmed with latest bios. I'm done with it for today I need a break, will attack it tomorrow, thx for the answer.

bilbat

Splendid
Yep that's what I'm saying. Great place, have had few problems with them, sometimes phone contact can be..annoying but once you get to the right place they are helpful have great selection and run great sales, I got this board for 170 a lot cheaper than anyplace else.

I gotta look into these people - Egg has always been great to me (which might relate to the six or eight thousand I send them per year), but test a new system? Unheard of; and I know their prices are not consistently the lowest; I just buy everything I can from them to have that little bit of leverage that being a 'regular' gives...

that grounding scheme sounds like a pita, maybe a piece of foil instead? LOL

Actually, the mounting screws themselves should be fine, but I'm the kind of person who wears a belt and suspenders, and then keeps a safety pin in the key pocket, just in case!

Looks like you've done everything on my 'usual suspects' list; and the GB CPU support/BIOS listing pages are confusing, at best... Pretty much all the CPUs show F5 for support, but on the BIOS page, they only list two - F5 (with a 5/21/09 date) and F3K, with a day later date!?! Maybe I'll see tomorrow if my Mandarin is getting any better and go to their Chinese site...

TRENDING THREADS