How to get my CPU to run cooler? Do I need to?

sofalinux

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Motherboard=MSI K9N6PGM2
CPU=AMD 64 X2 4200

My cpu temperature(as detected with temp sensor inserted into heat-sink) used to run at 27.1 degrees celcius. I had never checked the temp reading in BIOS.

Yesterday I replaced the motherboard and power supply with identicle replacements. Now my heat-sink temp is goes up to about 30c periodically. BIOS cpu reading is up to about 43c.

I don't think this is a big issue (I may be wrong) except that there is also a slight hot, or "burning wire" type of odor. Or could this just be a "new" motherboard odor?

I reapplied a liitle more heat-sink grease to the processor. I made sure my fans are working.

At first I noticed that I had my front case fan connected instead of the rear fan (I only have a connector for one case fan. I switched to the rear fan (as it used to be) and the temp did drop about a degree. I also noticed that even though the front panel temp readout still works, it is no longer lit up. Could this be related?

I'd appreciate any input.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
What PSU, make/model? Does the smell come from the rear of the PSU? Does the air from PSU vent appear warmer than air from rear fan? What video card?

Mike.

SimonSplat

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
+1 for the concern over "I reapplied a liitle more heat-sink grease to the processor". If there is too much grease on the processor/heat sink then it can actually *insulate* the processor, keeping it warmer!! You only, (even on the larger size intel chips iirc) need a rice grain size of grease that you very thinly spread over the CPU.

The burning smell, you shouldnt really be getting any increase in smell when the PC is switched on. It could be too much thermal grease. Or it could be that a wire has shorted for your front panel?

The other option for the smell could be your PSU, give that a sniff at the back where the air is being pumped out of the PSU itself. This is more common. If it gets strong though it means your PSU isnt working right and may need replacing.

If you want my opinion to "fix" this, unplug everything that isnt necessary (even sound card, extra hard drives, fans, front panels, lights etc) and switch it on. Plug things in one by one and test again...

I really would check that you havent too much thermal grease though, I have seen CPU's cooked because of this (I used to work in a PC repair shop....)

Good Luck!