Modifing a CPU Cooler

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
I received the parts to modify my CPU Cooler in the mail today. Problem is, it's different than I expected.

My question is this: On the Zalman CPU heatsink, can it be drilled/cut out to allow for a larger bracket? The amount metal I need to remove is small and would only reduce the weight of the heatsink (not the functionality) by a few grams.

D

Deleted member 338371

It depends what model of your Zalman CPUheasink and where you would drill. I personally never done it, but I seen people modifying to fit into their cases.

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
The CPU heatsink is Zalman Fatal1ty FS-C77 (Nice CPU Cooler). The cut out would be directly opposite of the mounting surface prior to the bracket channel where the solid part of the heatsink begins. If it was metal being removed from the channel itself, I would be more concerned/reluctant to modify it. But, I thought I would fly it by you guys first.

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Yes, a AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE.

It's a 918g heatsink, 0.17 Celsius Temp Resistance, w/120mm fan. Is this not rated high enough for this application? Those guys were overclocking the heck out of those CPU's. My temps are solid now at 23 C @ 3.4GHz. I just liked the HSF.

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Yes, me too. The key was in the wording. Which I neglected to pay attention to. I may keep looking around just to find another hardware resource.

Here's link for the forum for future projects like this one.

http://www.quietpc.com/us-en-usd/products/heatsinkacc/cnps-spares

Update: I emailed them and they are sending a different bracket that looks like it will work. They included a photo which was really nice. Additionally, they are sending it free of charge. That's awesome any day in my book. It's hard to find Customer Service like that these days.

JohnnyLucky, you are the one who got me rolling on this project. I don't know whether to blame you or thank you. Ah, just kidding. :sweat:

Check them out: http://www.quietpc.com