Antec 300 HELP - where do I plug the case fans??

sn00pie

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Hi I'm building with an Antec 300 case, Gigabyte P35-S3G mobo, and an OCZ Stealth Xstream psu.

The case has 2 fans built in top and side, but I don't know where to connect them. There are no remaining wires on the PSU to fit them too and nowhere on the motherboard.

They are both 4-pin, which I have hooked to a 4-pin/6pin connection wire thingy that came with one of the components. here's a picture:
dsc00091dl8.jpg

Any ideas?

Second question:

I have an Asus EN8800GT in there. It's connected to the PSU by a 6-pin wire. The manual for it was a generic Asus manual and wasn't specific.... it's right to plug this card in to the PSU yeah?

This is my first build so any help would be appreciated :)

The 6-pin PCIe plug from the PSU will plug into your 8800GT, you should have 4 - 4 pin molex that will plug into the case fans. The picture you showed is the adapter from the 8800GT that you don't need since the stealthstream has a 6-pin PCIe plug.

rojito

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
1) forget about the 4/6 pin connector, take it out.
2) The 4 pin connectors of the fans should be two way (male and female at the same time) which means you can connect both and a 4 pin connector component with only one 4 pin connector from the psu.
3) your psu should have a few 4 pin connectors, but if you used all, do what it says in "2"

The thingy you have the two fans plugged in to is a dual 4 to 6 pin video card adapter. You can 't plug that in anywhere but to the video card. Your OCZ power supply alreay has two 6 pin 12v leads for your video card power.

The two fans on the Anten 300, a 140mm top and a 120mm rear, has a simple 4 pin molex connector. Plug them into a four pin lead from the power supply.

sn00pie

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
I'll explain clearer the wires

Coming from each fan is a male/female (it has both, either end) 4 pin wire.

I've joined them together with a male/male > 6 pin female wire (the black thing in the center.

The only wire I have free from the PSU is the PCI-E2 wire, a 12V 6pin female connection.
The PCI-E1 wire goes into the 8800gt.

Since both the 6pin from the 2 fans joined is female and the PCI-E one is female, could I somehow get a male/male 6pin and connect them?

I'm reading the manual for the 300 case and for both the 140mm fan and the 120mm fan, it says the rated voltage is DC 12V.

So would this plan work and does that male/male 6pin 12v wire exist?

Take that adapter you have OFF. Now you have two fans that need plugged in. Plug each fan into a four pin lead from the PSU. ALL the connectors from the PSU are 12v except the 24 pin main connector wich supplies the other voltages to the mainboard your system will use.

sn00pie

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
ok wait wait I've found those two 4pin molex dealies from the PSU - I have them stuck into my CD-RW and DVD-RW... can I remove them or do the optical drives need them?

It's your poor judgement and blind ambition I question. :lol: Not your ability to make this thread any more stupid. :sol:

How about this. Theoretically speaking you can remove the 4 pin PSU adapter from the optical drive and then plug the roof fan into it. Then plug that same lead with the roof fan back in to the optical drive and power both devices, a fan and an optical drive. I'm just trying to show how it can be done.

sn00pie

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
it makes me more nervous that I have LOADS of screws left. I have about 25 of those big thumb-screws that I never found anywhere to put... :p

lso I need to hook them up in sequence... as in PSU female > Fan male, then Fan male into CD/R female...

repeat for DVD2 / fan2

:D bad or good idea?

Sure, you can 'piggyback' the 4 pin 12v lead from the PSU many times over. That's right. That should solve the problem of not having anyhwere to plug in the two case fans. Yeah, that is a bonus to get that large bag of set screws with the case. I have three of the cases.

EDIT: Spelling

rojito

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
mmm.... I believe you will be asking a lot of questions till the end of the project, maybe you could look for a video tutorial on how to build pc's, try youtube.

1) fans don't consume a lot of power, that's why they come with two way 4 pin connector. That means you can connect a lot of fans into a single psu 4 pin connector and still be able to power up a device such as an optical drive, so go ahead and do the plugging any way you want.
2) make sure each device has one connection from the psu. Some devices have more than one type of connection to be powered chose wichever you like, but chose only one.
3) The exception to the rule is your motherboard. It will need more (make sure everything from the psu that fits on your MOBO is connected.
4) another exception. Devices that plug into your MOBO via PCI, PCI Express, etc. (directly into the mobo without using a cable) may not need to be powered by your psu, I believe only your 8800GT does.
5) You will always have more screws than you need, just make sure no bare components touch anything metallic. I'm talking about the mobo being in direct contact to the chassis of the case, the bear side of the HD to whichever metallic component and things like that.

kbits

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
The thumb-screws are for the hard drives if I remember the 300 I built last month. Each HD takes up to 4.

As for the fans, I remember I route the back fan cable up to the top fan female-male molex, then plugged that one in an available molex from the PSU.

But you method works fine too. It just look a bit messy to me to have those female-male sticking out of the optical drives.

sn00pie

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Okay here we go:

the machine is firing up just fine, but there's no display going to the monitor, it just goes into sleep mode. There are no beeps or anything like that from the machine itself, all the fans are turning etc.

The monitor is connected through a DVI. I've tried with a VGA (with the supplied DVI socket), and with a DVI/HDMI lead. nothing.

Opened up the machine, everything seems to be connected fine. The motherboard doesn't have a video socket so I can't plug directly in that, it's into the video card.

Where do I start? Take out the ram, put 1 stick in at a time? or ...

sn00pie

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Confirm something for me please:

There is a 4-pin power cable running to the top left corner of the mobo.
There is also a 24 pin power cable going to the mobo right?

That 24 pin cable is made of a 20pin socket and a 4pin socket that join together.

I need both of those on there right?

I've got the machine open now and can confirm that the CPU fan is spinning, the GPU fan is spinning, as is the PSU and case fans etc.

rojito

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
yes, the connections to the mobo seems to be fine. I'm not sure what to do to be able to have video on the monitor. Can you take some pictures?
Also make sure the mobo has a speaker, otherwise it's impossibleto hear the beeps.

rojito

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
damm... I can see only the first image. The firewall is blocking the others (don't ask).
did you connect the psu to the 4 pin mobo connector near the processor?