Barracuda XT SATA III Vs WD Raptor SATA II

michael775

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I’m in a debate came across an Asus U3S6 PCIe bridge card as there rilly cheap & you get a $30 mail in rebate. So I herd from a friend that the current sata 6 disk drives are not that much faster than current SATA 2 hard drives so should I get a SATA3 disk or a SATA 2 WD Raptor which I here is amazingly fast and I here roomers on the net that hard drive manufacturers are Like WD & Seagate are making and testing drives at 22,000 22,500 & 30,000 RPMs to fight back on the speed that SSD’s offer What are your thoughts.

Right now the problem with most sata iii hdds is that they are unable to fully saturate the 6GB/s (well, not can sata ii, but you get the point). I have a V. Raptor in my machine (without RAID or anything) and it is pretty quick on sata ii. Depending on what you plan on doing with your set up, I don't think it will matter much what you go with. If I were you I'd shoot for the sata iii-barracuda in the sense that you'll be able to get a quicker hdd when they start to come out.

michael775

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I see your point I was going to get an Adaptec 8X SAS PCIe card and I settled for an Asus U3S6 on the fact the its Plx chip will give one device full speed but 2 hard drives or one usb3.0 external drive will over run PCIe Plx chip's bandwidth and kill the cards performance but it was allot cheaper than the 8x SAS LOL I thought the SAS adapter would be cheap and the drive expensive but both are expensive I originally want a 15kRPM SAS drive for its performance but OWELL.

what I would like to see is Benchmarks comparing the WD Raptor SATA2 drive against the Seagate Barracuda XT SATA 3 drive if anyone ells has come across a site with these benchmarks let me know about it. Because SAS is not in my budget LOL
but based on what I have read I'm still Leaning towards the Raptor till the higher spin speed make’s the SATA 3 Port Popular and it transfer rate superior to SATA2 Unless there is a Hard drive that is affordable and uses the SATA 3 interface And out Performs the SATA 2 & the Seagate Barracuda XT SATA3 drive that at this moment is not Living up to its expectations but a step in the right direction non the less I am more interested in the WD Raptor at the moment unless I have over looked something which is what this form is about so let me know if there’s a faster drive with higher capacities of 150GB or more under $225 that is very fast and uses SATA 2 Or SATA3 that I can Consider and pleas if U have come across a web site with benchmarks comparing these drives send me the link thanks.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
mobo p5q pro turbo / CPU Q9650 / Ram Kingston Valu rame 8GB 800MHz / GPU / MSI R4850 2D1GOC /
HD 2 WD black 500GB SATA2 & 2 WD 320GB BLue SATA2/ Win7 Home Pre 64bit/ PSU OCZ X stealth 700 Watt /
Chase Cheep Antech 200 List goes on. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------THE PC ENTHUSIAST I GOT I GOT IGOT I WANT I WANT I WANT LOL IT's MY RIGHT OF PASSAGE---------------------------