Windows 7 Underclocking CPU?

Hello all, First my specs:

MOBO: P5E64 WS EVOLUTION
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (normal speed: 2.83 GHz)

I'm having issues with an over clock I've had for awhile. When I boot everything seems fine, the prompt that comes up on system startup lists my cpu as 3.4 GHZ (2.83). Meaning I'm over clocking to 3.4.

However, when I get into Windows 7, Nothing else shows 3.4 (I've tried with windows props, cpu-z, etc.). Everything shows the standard speed of 2.83. My proc is a bit hot, idling around 40c, peaking at 70c, but I don't think this would be enough for the proc to be under clocking itself.

What I have tried:
- Looked in bios for something to disable that could be under-clocking my cpu like speed step. Haven't found anything...
- Looked in Windows Power settings and made sure it was set for performance mode (made sure that min/max settings for cpu were at 100%)
- Tried to install AI Suite (maybe I need this program or something?, dont see why I would), However this program doesn't work with windows 7.

An Aside: On Idle, my cpu temp registers 39-40C, but my cores register: 50,43,48,52, should their be this drastic of a difference between the core temps and the cpu temp?

Thank you.
6 answers Last reply
More about windows underclocking
  1. You have to disable both C1E and EIST in order to turn off speed-step.
  2. I have disabled C1E, but have not found EIST in the bios. Where can this option be located?

Thank you for your reply.
  3. Try to search something like "Enhanced Intel speed step technology" or "speed step".
  4. Speed Step works by lowering the multiplier, it doesn't seem like that is what's happening to you.
    333 x 8.5 = 2.83 stock clock
    400 x 8.5 = 3.4 OC
    400 x 6 = 2.4 Speedstep throttled clock

Try a different version of CPU-Z
  5. same problem with mu q6600 i have 3ghz and C1E and EIST are both disabled but when on load CPU downclocks to 500mhz... it's impossible to play any games... anything..
  6. This 3yr old post was just bumped out of nowhere, I just wanted to say thank you since I forgot to say it 3yr's ago.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Windows 7 Overclocking