GTX 280 with a Q9550. Who has this combo, I have some questions for u

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I currently have the Q9550 with a bottlenecking 8800GT. I am going to get the GTX 280 and I was wondering how is your gaming performance with that combo? How is Crysis, COD4/5, FSX, GRID, and any other demanding graphics games?

I have the option to send my Q9550 back to get a E8600. Should I do it? Will I get better FPS with the E8600 compared to the Q9550 with the GTX 280?

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
How many fcuking threads are you going to make you little POS. Just search for and read other threads on multiple forums(preferably not this one), this is old tech and as such has been answered a hundred times before.

Wow, you are a big tough kid on here huh? If this really bugs you and disrupts your life that much, you need to get a life and not spend so much time on here trying to police this site. How much are they paying you for this? Nothing? Oh thats right. Thats very nice of you to donate your time for them. Almost too much time is being donated though. Big Deal, there's plenty of room on the world wide web for a possible duplicate thread. There are a few people like you on these forums. You should get with those people and create your own site for only people that know more then everyone else and nothing can be talked about more the once. Only new stuff! I am sure that would be a real fun site full of a bunch of A-holes. Let me know when that is up so I can police that and make sure theres only new stuff being talked about.

Thanks for the help with my questions though. Very insightful.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Bloody noobs, perhaps you should learn how these forums work, hell if most did 90% of the topics would not need to be asked. That would be a good thing, a few quality threads are better than a million useless ones like this. people should be able to, even on toms not have to skim through pages off dross to find the answer to something, they should see a thread and get a nice concise answer but people like you spamming thoughtlessly spoil it for all.

If a question has been asked before, why ask again. Why not just search a few reviews and extract your answers, hell if you had a query regarding your research fine, but it isn't that, it is you are a thick, lazy piece of **** who wants spoon fed.

Tell me, how many dozens of pages of reviews and threads have you read through, how much effort have you put in to your problem?

You are one of those guys that when one person asks a question you cloud it up with your arguments and negative comments that screw up the entire thread for everyone else that is just trying to find a quick answer to a common question. Thats why there are so many duplicates threads because of people like you "F***ing" them up where they get so clouded they get off topic and dont make sense anymore. The common person now has to scroll past all of your Bull S*** down to the bottom just to find an answer. Do us all a favor, throw your computer away and find something else more enjoyable in life. Its clearly its making you irritable and stressed out.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Alright, sorry for that inconvenience up above everyone, lets get back to the topic at hand. I will be buying a GTX 280 very soon and I am mostly wondering if I will get better performance out of my Q9550 or a E8600. I dont know the answer to that, because I dont currently have that card yet and I would love to hear your results if you already have that card with one of those CPUs. Thanks.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007

Thank you, that was actually very helpful. See we are all friends here and that wasn't so hard. That actually really helped. You have pointed me in the right direction and I will do some research. Thanks.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
Spitfire7:

What is your resolution?

What games will you be playing?

Are you currently suffering from framerate issues? How severe?

My first thought is this:

You have an 8800GT.... that is NOT a BAD CARD.

A single GTX280 still won't keep you above 30fps in crysis on a 24" monitor at highest settings 100% of the time... (I'm not sure, but I THINK that it isn't even enough to keep it above 30fps all the time even at 1680x1050- it could dip low in heavy scenes.... but i haven't looked into it for a while, So I don't remember.)

Wait for 55nm nvidia gpus to come out and for the 40nm ATI gpus....

The annual "New generation" time is coming really soon.... November-January I believe... (this year must have been delayed.... May seems really late.)

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007

What is your resolution? 1680X1050 22in Monitor

What games will you be playing? FSX, Crysis, COD4/5, GTA4, GRID, HL2. I really want to get FSX running the fastest possible.

Are you currently suffering from framerate issues? How severe? Yeah when I got my Q9550 from my e6600 I decreased in performance on several games like Crysis. I am getting about 28/29 frames on the highest of high settings in Crysis with no AA. COD4 runs fine on max and was able to put 4xAA with smooth play. FSX still has supper low FPS. They say FSX is a core hungry game, but I didn't increase at all really from my e6600 to my Q9550. I then OCed my 9550 to 4Ghz. Still no difference in FSX. GPU bottleneck? Will that GTX 280 do the trick?

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
You really have no brains whatsoever do you, skywalker was not helping you, he was taking the piss out of you.

Christ, maybe i am a bit irritable dealing with people like you but if someone needs genuine help and i can i will. I have helped more people here than you ever will, sure i am an arsehole but just sometimes i can be nice.

You do not deserve help, what exactly are you offering these forums?

If you really have a problem with me, report me to the mods and have them deal with me.

Seriously buddy, relax! Take a break for a little while. If there's nothing you can do to help, then move along to the next forum. I am sure you are appreciated when you do help, so go do that rather then bashing people.

squatchman

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
For those who haven't found out already:
Spitfire has basically been upgrading his computer randomly over the last few weeks trying to get higher feeps in MS Flight Simulator X.

If you look around you will find his pleas and the responses he ignored littered around the forums.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007

Squatchman,

You are right. I have been upgrading here and there, from a new mobo, to a new CPU, to new ram, and now on to a GPU over the last month or so. Each step I have taken so far, I haven't noticed a difference really other then my 4GB ram upgrade which I actually did see an increase in performance for FSX, very slightly though. I really appreciate everyone's input and advice. It really does help and I take it to heart and continue the research. The answers are so 50/50 that I am not fully sure what I am going to do just yet. I have been hoping to get that one clear bit of information or finding a FSX guy who is running it well and to ask him what he has to follow that. So I am getting close and I really appreciate everyone's help and patience.

One of the wises things anyone can do is to not reinvent the wheel, but ask how to build it and how it works. You skip all of the troubles and go right to the solution. I already bought a Quad without asking and didn't see the improvement. I learned the hard way with that, but am now future proof. If I asked around first, I probably would have gone with the E8500. But I hope to see the Quads real power after I get a new GPU.