VideoEditing-Upgrade from Geforce 8600GT?

bozobytes

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Hello,
I have an Nvidia Geforce 8600GT (512MB) on XP Home SP3. Directx9.0c, Q6600 Intel Core2Duo, with 3.3GB Ram. I'm trying to use the Studio Pinnacle 14HD for analog capture. All I get is the dreaded OOS (out of sync) issues. I think the major problem is the fact that the PCI-500 Capture card from pinnacle with the video-out from analog camera is one input, while the sound from analog camcorder goes into an audio "Y" cord and into a separate sound input, which is the onboard system sound device. (Realtek HD audio)

Would this be corrected by upgrading to Windows7, or just upgrade my 8600GT? I have heard that upping the Mobo memory or CPU will correct this, and it's not so much having anything to do with the upgrading of the GPU. Given that this Pci-e 8600GT is only 512MB, would getting a 1 GB GPU be better anyway than this old 8600GT's 512MB ?

Pinnacle almost always blames the computer for it's non-performing software when it comes to dropped frames or OOS issues. I think it's their capture card, not being able to LOCK IN the correct time code.

I also hear that even the Windows7 has these types of issues, so what to do?

I don't want to think about all the software and hardware changes I will need to convert over to Win7, only the nice feeling of having up to 8GB of system memory instead of my present measly 3.3GB to run all my apps, and photoshops' hungry memory.

Maybe buy a dedicated computer to do ONLY video editing to free up most resources. OR try another video editing card to get BOTH Audio and Video on one link. (Canopus, ADS PYRO, Hauppauge100/300, Data Video Dac-100, etc)

Thanks! :ange:

Check for any updated drivers for the card and your system. The OS or the computer should not be causing the issues, both are fast enough to deal with video.

It's not surprising Pinnacle does not say it's their issue, if you have a device that needs 2 components to work, you will have 2 causes of the issue, if you have to deal with 3 vendors, the issue is in 3 different areas depending who you call.

bozobytes

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Hello and Thanks, :sol:

if you have a device that needs 2 components to work, you will have 2 causes of the issue

It makes total sense to me too! Pinnacle always blames the computer and not it's software/hardware.

Pinnacle has also got a bad reputation for poor customer service, and the over- valued, over- hyped performance, compared to other video authoring, editing, and capturing titles out there.

People have told me I need a newer graphics card from 512MB to 1GB, up my OS from XP to Windows7, increase my memory to 8GB, and get DirectX10 or 11, end task all running programs, defrag,etc. ......AND even go as far as to buy another computer JUST dedicated for Video editing :fou:

Faster system can't hurt, especially if you are editing high-res video. For pro work, all that may be true, for a hobby, not really needed. You may however look for a new capture card, that would be the first thing I'd check on. I mean people have been editing video since early Pentium days on 512 mb of RAM, there is no way that a dual core system with over 3 gig of RAM should need to be upgraded for this.

bozobytes

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Thanks hang,
Faster system can't hurt, especially if you are editing high-res video

Presently, with a Core2Duo Quad Q6600, with WIN XP SP3 that can only handle up to 3.3 GB DDR, by a faster system to edit and burn HD DV (which down the line I'm thinking about, but for now, it's only analog)

...Do you mean to upgrade to Windows7, (add more RAM), or a higher CPU,and/or a newer PCI-E Graphics card, or all the above?

I am presently looking at the DAC-100 Capture card. :pt1cable: