Overclocking Catastrophe

Last response: in Overclocking
February 23, 2010 6:19:49 PM

So... I decided I'd have a brief foray into overclocking. My gear 1st:

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D Pro
CPU: Intel 15-750
GPU: eVGA GTX 260
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650
RAM: Corsair XMS3, 1600 MHz 2 GB (1 stick only)

I first set the OC tuner to DOCP. I then adjusted the BCLK frequency to 160, when I rebooted this resulted in a 2.73 GHz clock frequency. I then went back and set it to 170, thinking this would proportionally be a very small difference. This is where the trouble began... I couldn't boot first. Then I shut off the power and turned it back on. I got a message that the OC failed, and then it promoted me to enter bios or reset, I went into the Bios and reset to default, then when I rebooted it couldn't detect a boot device (it said please insert boot CD or something like that).

At this point, I was panicking... So I tried one more restart, and this time it wouldn't enter bios at all. The LED's went through their motions, and it finally stopped on the PCI-E light, which just sat there. My final recourse was to hope that resetting the bios would help, so I reset it by removing the CMOS battery. When I got it hooked back up, it did get into the bios, which was progress. During the process I unhooked my Data hard drive, just due to paranoia. Once I successfully started Windows, I hooked the other hard drive (D) back up, and rebooted, and got the same boot error before (please insert boot disk etc...). If I unhooked the drive, it it boots fine. So I finally decided to just try another SATA port. This time it worked! Did a failed overclock attempt someone blow one of my SATA ports? This sounds kind of crazy... Any input would be welcome, and if anybody has ideas for what the hell went wrong, I welcome them. I feel kind of stupid for venturing into uncharted waters...
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2010 6:27:58 PM

Many times i have ports that dont work with a certain hdd. I believe it is because of corrupted sectors. This can be caused by a rise in pci-e speed wich is probably why this is where it stopped its boot cycle. Make sure you set this speed manually to 100 next time.
m
l
February 23, 2010 6:34:00 PM

overshocked said:
Many times i have ports that dont work with a certain hdd. I believe it is because of corrupted sectors. This can be caused by a rise in pci-e speed wich is probably why this is where it stopped its boot cycle. Make sure you set this speed manually to 100 next time.

Hmm... Interesting. I'm not sure if I payed attention to the PCI frequency, but I do seem to remember it simply toggling back & forth between 100 & 200. 200 is obviously much higher so maybe that's what happened. The HDD is brand new (Samsung spinpoint 1TB, 7200 RPM), I just installed it last week.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2010 6:47:09 PM

In the Bios also check that the Ide channels that the SATA drives are using are set to auto detect the drives (it could be that resetting the BIOS had them revert to NONE in which case the system would not try to find a drive on those channels !
m
l
February 23, 2010 6:54:12 PM

JDFan said:
In the Bios also check that the Ide channels that the SATA drives are using are set to auto detect the drives (it could be that resetting the BIOS had them revert to NONE in which case the system would not try to find a drive on those channels !

This motherboard has a specific channel dedicated to the boot drive, I would have thought this hardware configuration would prevent the type of error you're referring to regardless of bios settings, but who knows. The thing is, when I change to a different port, I didn't change any settings in the bios.

The bottom line, and the thing that's nagging my brain the most, is does anyone here think I actually damaged any hardware?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2010 7:20:41 PM

Yep, id bet you damaged your hdd with such high pci speeds. 200mhz would do it.
m
l
February 23, 2010 7:30:17 PM

overshocked said:
Yep, id bet you damaged your hdd with such high pci speeds. 200mhz would do it.

I have no gaurantee that it actually was ever set to that high, I do know that it can increase in step with the BCLK though (I think). How could I assess damage to the HDD? It runs, I can access it etc...
m
l
!