Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
Specs
MOBO: Gigabyte P35-DS3L
CPU: C2D E4500
MEM: 2 gigs OCZ 6400
GPU: Nvidia 8800 GT
PSU: TruePower Trio (550, I think)

I built my own system hassle free in January, but there has been one little issue that crops up now and again. When I play graphically intensive games, I get more lock ups and IRQL_LESS_THANs than I ought to. I know this is usually a driver issue, but I think I may have finally found the problem in bad RAM.

My OCZ 6400 isn't passing muster with Memtest. I haven't been able to get a full run through. It just freezes (but not always at the same place). That means it's bum RAM, right? Anything else I should try to fix the IRQL errors?

My question is, do you think it's worth the hassle to RMA the stuff (lifetime warrany) or just buy some new RAM? I think otherwise the system is sound. (Full specs when I get home). The FPS is in the right range when I play Oblivion and Witcher, but they're both nigh unplayable with the frequent crashing. The computer never crashes when running other desktop applications (except Picasa 3, once).

If I should buy new RAM--what should I get? This stuff wasn't rated poorly on Newegg (I picked it up at Fry's).

I'm not overclocking anything.

I'd like to have a playable system for Fallout 3 come Christmas time when I'll have a break from work. Thanks for any advice!

Updates in bold. Anyone RMA'd stuff to OCZ before? Advice?

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
my philosophy is free is always better! However if you are wanting to upgrade the size of ram you have (i don't know how much ram you currently have in the system) then now is a good time to get cheap ddr2 2x2 gig sets.

Regardless if you want to get new ram or not, you should still RMA the old ram. This will give you some ram to test with or to use if any ram you purchase in the future fails. Also if you dont need the extra ram you could get it and sell it on craigs list for a small profit.