Sign in with
Your question

CHKDSK error

Last response: in Storage
April 2, 2010 10:16:07 PM

Well...I have a western internal harddrive for storing all my music, movies, files, pictures...It has been more than three years old. But it is still working great though my stuff stored in that harddrive is kind of messy. However, recently I just keep getting errors from it, which I have to reformat it and delete all my files in there(movies, music, pictures)...After formatting, it works fine again but this only works for like one or two times after boot, but usually after the second boot, I always get the CHKDSK message to check for that harddrive whenever I boot up my computer...And then I won't be able to access MY COMPUTER(the computer icon), if I access MY COMPUTER, it just freezes unless I do the formatting again.

My question is if it is time the harddrive needed replacement? Or it is the limit of its lifetime? if not, could anybody show me to how fix it?

More about : chkdsk error

April 2, 2010 11:26:52 PM

if you can, open up the command prompt and run chkdsk -f. this will try to fix any problems in the drive. if this doesn't work, a new drive will be needed

edit: though, if you have another computer you can try the drive on, i would move it to that one and test it as a secondary drive, see if things work.. also, download HDtune and check the SMART stats and run its disk check as well.
m
l
!