Sign in with
Your question

Just finished my monster gaming rig - let me know what you think

Last response: in Systems
October 29, 2008 11:27:04 PM

4 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache in RAID 0
1 x Akasa AK-P120FG 1200W Xtreme PSU
2 x Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 2048MB GDDR5 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express) - Retail
2 x G.Skill 4GB DDR3 HZ PC2-12800C7 1600MHz (2x2GB) CAS7 Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL7D-4GBHZ)
1 x Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 LGA775 'Yorkfield' 2.83GHz 12MB-cache (1333FSB) Processor - Retail - OC'd to 3.2Ghz
1 x Foxconn BlackOps Intel X48 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
1 x Coolermaster RC-1100 Cosmos S "Sport" Silent Full Tower Case
2 x Pioneer BDC-202BK 5x BD-ROM + 12x12 DVD±RW Serial ATA Dual Layer ReWriter - (Black)
1 x Zalman Reserator1 v2 Fanless Water Cooling System
3 x Feser One UV Reactive Coolant 1 Litre (Blue)
1 x 40" Full HD Samsung monitor
1 x Creative GigaWorks 7.1 S750 THX Speakers
1 x Logitech MX3200 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
Anonymous
October 29, 2008 11:42:02 PM

you should get 2 150 GB velociraptors in raid 0 and then 2 terabyte drives. That build is insane
October 29, 2008 11:53:33 PM

i wish i had money.....
I'm cheap. I'm running an AMD system from December.
Related resources
October 30, 2008 12:04:09 AM

Drop that PSU ASAP. Get a quality PSU like the Corsair 1kW. I personally would stay away from that Foxconn board, as I have had problems with their boards in the past. I recommend ASUS or Gigabyte.

Btw, you do realize this rig would be history by end of this year right?
October 30, 2008 12:25:45 AM

+1 @ Shadow. I'm also puzzled by a wireless keyboard and mouse on a gamer. Also as a gamer, does it need a pair of Blue Ray writers?
I'm not sure I see a need for water on it either. The OC is nice but not obscene. Water + electronics just seems like a matter of time before disaster; here it really seems unnecessary.
Pardon me for being conservative re:water, but that's just what I think.
October 30, 2008 12:48:50 AM

only 4 gigs? monster rigs now are running 6-8 gigs with vista 64

edit:am i reading that right? 2x 4 gig or 2x2 gig?
edit: ddr3? is that nessesary?
October 30, 2008 1:02:02 AM

All that money spent and you chose a cheap Foxcon board? Somebody slap that boy up side his head.
October 30, 2008 1:15:39 AM

Hey Shadow, In fairness i think it should last a bit longer than the end of the end of the year, haven't had any issues on the PSU (yet) but seems to have got good reviews too- the Foxconn board I have to disagree with you on though, it's excellent - not a chance i'd change that.

Jtt - there's no Blu-ray writers on it, they're readers with DVD RW (just got two because they were cheap and able to copy on the fly now), The water-cooling is more for the blocks i have ordered for the graphics cards, everythings silent except for those at the minute - those cards are on fire! they're heating my room at the minute ! ha!
October 30, 2008 1:22:51 AM

Two HD 4870 X2 cards are overkill for 1920x1080. That sort of thing makes sense at 2560x1600 but your "Full HD" TV doesn't do that.

Edit: but yeah, very nice PC. It should last for several years.
October 30, 2008 1:25:41 AM

stoner133 said:
All that money spent and you chose a cheap Foxcon board? Somebody slap that boy up side his head.

lol. /agree. foxconn is cheap. use Asus or Gigabyte, as their overclocking potential is much better. Also agree with everyone elses comments. Use a better quality psu. If its a gaming machine, get gaming keyboards and mice, not that wireless crap. and 4x barracudas? While they are great drives, it looks like you're going to be doing more that gaming with 2tb of space and 2 burners. If thats they way you are going, just make sure you partition a system drive and the rest for storage as you dont want to fragment your system drive if you are going to be doing lots of downloading and burning. Personally I'd put some SSDs in there for the system drive and your game installs if you want an 'ultimate' gaming experience. But then again, not really going to be 'ultimate' anymore in a few weeks when the Core i7's are released. And you're missing an audio card anyway. If you're getting great speakers you should use one of the latest creative sound cards, not that on-board crap.
October 30, 2008 1:30:40 AM

That FoxConn is actually an enthusiast product, and not bad at all. For example Anandtech liked it.
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3366&p=10

What I really don't get is the second Blu-Ray drive. Since they're read-only for Blu-Ray disks, you can't even copy from one to another directly. You can only do that with regular DVDs, but for that the second burner could have been a regular $25 DVD-RW.
October 30, 2008 1:31:41 AM

Stoner : cheap foxconn board???? Do you even know what that board is?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB...(Socket%20775)%20PCI-Express%20DDR3%20Motherboard

Aevm: yeah i know that about the monitor - its just the tv i have in my room at the minute - any ideas on a decent one? want a decent size one though - thanks in advance
October 30, 2008 1:43:36 AM

Aevm: **** i posted that wrong - it is only one blu-ray player, other drive is just a dvd burner,

yobigd20: the audio on that motherboard isn't on-board, it's a standalone card that comes with the blackops board and i have the drives partitioned too - yeah i was looking at the ssd - any you recommend?
October 30, 2008 1:45:06 AM

ROFLLMAO, 270 pounds, that's like US$ 600, isn't it. Yeah, "cheap" is not exactly the right word here :) 

Monitor, for that monster build? I'm assuming you've got a monster budget for that too, so I'll recommend a 30". My favorite is the Samsung 305T, and I'm in fact hoping to get one during Boxing Week sales (that's Dec 24..31 in Canada). It's regular $1400 and I'm willing to pay $1000. There are a couple of others (HP, Gateway, Dell, LG) that cost even more and also get great reviews. You really need to read the reviews yourself because a bunch of things are a matter of personal taste.

October 30, 2008 1:47:38 AM

colonelblake : sorry about that yeah it's 2x4GB kits, each of which are 2x2GB modules - so 8Gb in total
October 30, 2008 1:57:01 AM

lol ok so I didnt look at the specs for the foxconn. I just never considered them an enthusiast contender before. Board seems aight. I'd still opt for the latest creative x-fi card though over the one provided by that board, that way you get support for EAX 5.0. And I've read that the sound on the X-Fi cards is better for gaming.

As far as the SSDs, I would wait for the Intel X25's to hit the streets (which should be within the next few weeks). If your pressed the a SSD now, I'd only recommend the Patriot SSDs, as the OCZ ones are noted to have a 'freezing' problem where everything seems to halt for a second or two every now and then. All these SSDs are 2.5" btw, so you'll need to get a 3.5" adapter for it.
October 30, 2008 1:57:39 AM

Yes Foxcon boards are cheap when it comes to manufacturing and documentation. With the build you assembled you should have used a quality board from Gigabyte or Asus.
October 30, 2008 2:05:31 AM

samsung 305t was the 30" of choice for gaming in 2560x1600 a few months ago, but I haven't really kept up with that lately.
October 30, 2008 2:12:57 AM

Yeah, same here. I still got to read more LCD reviews until the Boxing week sales. Ask again in a month and I'll have a Ph. D. in 30" monitors :) 

About the SSDs: I think they will become larger and cheaper soon. SanDisk recently came up with a massively dumb idea, selling Flash cards with 1 GB capacity and containing one album in mp3 format (that would be 250MB at best IMO). That proves that there's a serious oversupply of Flash.

October 30, 2008 2:13:10 AM

Thanks for that guys - must look out for one of those ssd's and see what they're like - and the audio card, would make more sense to have the supported one alright.

Thanks for that stoner - i'll keep it in mind
Anonymous
October 30, 2008 2:35:22 AM

Spending all that money... PERIOD... what a waste of money in my opinion... use it on your GF or give it charity... and use the rest for self... not YOURSELF... GF and then charity...

If you do plan on spending that much money avoid the Ocz Core SSDs... they freeze a lot... and write performance is terrible... if your getting an SSD go with an Intel one as they are currently the best for the price
October 30, 2008 3:10:49 AM

money is no worries to me because i work like a dog, so i spend plenty on my GF too, and donate to charity, so all in all i'm not too bad, and i have a nice pc now too! ha!
Thanks for that on the SSD's - it's looking like intel's are the way to go
October 30, 2008 3:28:28 AM

I wouldn't go for a kit WC. How much do you plan to OC?
I'd drop the PSU as well.. the rig will draw - what? 800W off the wall @80% effeciency.. that'll be no more than 650... get a 1k corsair if you want some headroom.
October 31, 2008 4:01:24 PM

^+1 for not going with a Kit. Most kit's are cr@p. But there are a few custom configured kits at some websites (ie. http://www.petrastechshop.com/wacoki.html ) there are better blocks (ie GTZ) and pumps out now so be warned when getting kits. 90% of the time you can custom assemble a WC kit cheaper and/or better.

Two things:
1. The Foxconn board is fine when it comes to OCing. It can hold up against the ASUS, Gigabyte, DFI boards.

2. The Foxconn boards are "cheap" as in build quality.
January 30, 2009 3:39:04 AM

Shadow703793 said:
^+1 for not going with a Kit. Most kit's are cr@p. But there are a few custom configured kits at some websites (ie. http://www.petrastechshop.com/wacoki.html ) there are better blocks (ie GTZ) and pumps out now so be warned when getting kits. 90% of the time you can custom assemble a WC kit cheaper and/or better.

Two things:
1. The Foxconn board is fine when it comes to OCing. It can hold up against the ASUS, Gigabyte, DFI boards.

2. The Foxconn boards are "cheap" as in build quality.

is fine just if money is a problem, and it seem´s to me this is not the case, right?, best regards!
January 30, 2009 3:50:06 AM

Building such a system means that performance really matters to you, but unfortunately this has not been a very well money distribute rig example to take in count to, first mistake: wrong board choice, second: not enough memory for such a system, third: on board sound(stinks), best regards!
!