Core i7 overheating

hippocrit

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
i have the core i7 920 on an asus p6t motherboard (not deluxe). My cpu has been reaching 60c during gameplay for more than 20 minutes in crysis and grid and as a result the pc shuts down. I turned on the turbo fan mode and put on some arctic silver and the pc still is hitting those temps, I don't have money right now for a new cooler so I am wondering how i am getting these high temps while others say they are getting 35-45c idle/load with the stock fan. I have an aluminum case wiith decent airflow and 1 intake fan and two exhausts. I have a core i7 certified 750W psu from corsair and a radeon 4870.
Thanks in advance for the help,
Josh

fahdh2

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
If it's possible to add a case fan, you should do so. It should cost you anywhere from $7-$20. You can always return it, of course, if it does not make much of a difference. Also, is it possible that the CPU cooler is not getting full contact with the CPU?

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Is it at stock? Check the BIOS setting. Aside from that, also take a look in the task manager to see if the CPU is being taxed heavily by programs.

hippocrit

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
well there is no oc, no epu and no turbo v enabled, i tried to set the mobo cpu heat sensor to ignore, but it still shut down. I will try to maybe underclock it but it still is shutting down, is there anyway to change the emergency shutdown limit- i think its like 67-70 because speedfan isn't exactly accurate (it says my cpu temp it 60, then the pc shuts off, then bios says 67 in red letters so i dont touch any games for a while until temps go down)