Solved

N260GTX Twin Frozr OC Overclocking?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
February 24, 2010 6:21:58 AM

I currently upgraded to the N260GTX Twin Frozr OC from newegg. The games im running are still getting into 50 FPS at times. Was curious if anyone would suggest overclocking the card. The manufacture says it has 85% overclocking capabilities. But I just want a little extra out of it without causing any damage to lifespan or whatever. My system isn't the best but expected more performance out of it. Should I overclock or leave be?

N260GTX Twin Frozr OC : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Mainboard : Dell 0GC375
Chipset : nVidia nForce4 SLI X16 Intel Edition
Processor : Intel Pentium D 820 @ 2800 MHz Dual core
Physical Memory : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : Nvidia Twin Frozr OC GeForce GTX 260
Hard Disk : SAMSUNG (160 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615
DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B

More about : n260gtx twin frozr overclocking

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 1:24:33 PM

It's already overclocked from the factory, probably the reason for the twin fan cooling system (runs hot already). I'd say leave it alone. Not sure what 85% overclocking capability means. That's almost doubling the clock speed which I find impossible using software to push your GPU.

Your mobo and CPU are slow. You're not getting all of what your videocard can really deliver. I'd overclock if the mobo BIOS allows it but being Dell probably not,
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 4:12:24 PM

HIB is correct, your new card is being bottlenecked by the rest of your hardware. If you want higher frames you need to upgrade the CPU and mobo unless your board is Core 2 compatible.

I had the same issue with an old Dell XPS desktop, I decided to rip out the stock board, CPU and GPU. I replaced it with :

1. Asrock 760g = 65.00$
2. AMD x2 555BE = 99.99$
3. BFG GTS 250 (1GB) = 149.99$

All my games run smooth at med settings (1680x1050)

Dont overclock your GPU with your current hardware, it will only make the bottleneck worse...

m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2010 7:04:32 PM

Ok thanks for advice. Thought that was my situation with other hardware slowing it down. Will be looking into new motherboard and CPU.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 7:28:33 PM

VeTTe said:
Ok thanks for advice. Thought that was my situation with other hardware slowing it down. Will be looking into new motherboard and CPU.

Depending on your budget you can go low budget with an AMD dualcore or go high with AMD quadcore/DDR3 RAM. Personally, I'd go with AMD for the value. But if I had to go Intel, an OC'd E8400 and a P45 chipset mobo could max out what your GPU is capable of.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2010 7:53:53 PM

Best answer selected by r_manic.
m
l