PCI or no go?

djc604

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I am sending a computer to my relatives back in my homeland and I need some suggestions on upgrades.

We are thinking to send an HP 7917 http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=ae&docname=bph07034 (ouch)

So basically, the specs are:
Windows XP SP2
Intel Celeron 1.1 ghz
128mb RAM
40gb Hard drive

We've used this computer since 1999 up untill 2005, and it worked worked fine up until after when things started to get laggy. Programs started to be more memory hungry, and I soon found it frustrating having to wait for a page to load on the internet just to download some PDF documents, let alone opening Adobe Acrobat (BTW I had ADSL so internet speed was not the problem). Games on this rig weren't even considerable, getting around 20 fps at 800x600 for counter-strike 1.5.

Anyway, some serious upgrading needs to be done before I can send this bad-ass rig over to my cousins.
First things first, I'm definitely going to add the maximum amount of memory which is 512mb of PC133 RAM. Secondly I'm going to slap on an 80gb hard-drive.

After those upgrades, I'm thinking that the Celeron is going to be the main bottleneck, so I thought adding a PCI video card could somewhat compensate for the lagging cpu.
Would that be sufficient?

I know adding a decent video card to a rig with windows vista installed increases performance by a big margin, about a 60% increase, which is apparent on my current rig.

I'm thinking about getting a Geforce FX5500 256mb PCI, but I'm afraid that that could even be bottlenecked, but then again, I want this computer to last for at least another couple of years. This computer will only be used for internet, checking email, just general use, and maybe a possibility of a little gaming, cause' I might add the sims 2 since they have kids.

Any suggestions?

magicbullet

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
consider the fact that all the "new"old parts. the Biggest question, how much do all those things cost????

let me remind you that we r really close to blackfriday. a lot of computers are really like dirt cheap.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9999101600050000&type=product&id=pcmprd101700050000&ref=39&loc=01&AID=10597222&PID=1234320&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2Folspage.jsp%3FskuId%3D9999101600050000%26type%3Dproduct%26id%3Dpcmprd101700050000%26ref%3D10%26loc%3D05
this might change your mine , good luck :p

djc604

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
haha yes that looks very tempting, but we dont have to much money to burn, and besides, we already have the core system, we just need to buy the ram and the video card, which costs about 80$ CAD, Ive already stripped another computer for its 80gb HDD :)

Do it .

Todays hungry bloatware can be replaced with programs that actually work and have small footprints .

Tired of waiting for adobe reader to load and then load a page ?

Get foxit reader and have it happen in an instant . Its even free

IMHO, it is not worth upgrading.
Install Ubuntu on it, as it takes much less resources to run, and ship it to them.
Else, save that $80 and put it towards purchasing them a new $200-300 emachine.

Also, have you considered if your old machine will work on their power grid?
As far as I know, Canada is 110v.
Quite a bit of the world is running on 220v, how about their slice?
Will your PSU let you select the input voltage?

How much are you going to pay for shipping?
Try this, have them look for a new, low spec system in a local store.
Have them give you the price and convert it to CAD.
If the new machine is similar in price to the shipping costs + $80, wire them the cash.
This way, they will have a much better system for the same cost to you.

djc604

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008

I dont think ubuntu is a good first timer OS, as I don't even know how to troubleshoot sh*t on that platform, but I would certainly put it on my own low-end rig if i had any to spare. Ubuntu with Beryl and VirtualBox.
Anyway, there is a switch on the PSU, but if anything they should have a transformer for the 110v output. As far as shipping goes, I think it would be about $50 CAD since its a micro ATX and is not heavy but bulky.

I dont think their at all tech savvy, so asking them to find a low spec computer... no deal, besides computers over there are said to be overpriced, which is the reason why we want to send a computer over.
I just want to make sure that they have at least something to use, but because we're sending such a piece of equipment over, I wanna make sure that it this computer be used to its full potential to meet the demands of todays bloatware.

I'm also going to install the startup optimizer to make sure that it dont start havin a lagfest anytime soon.

And if i could, I'd stick 8 M80s in there, light em, and record it on youtube.

BTW, I have footage of a Panasonic 3DO betting blown to peices on youtube :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsAl8m2MOQU

Good grief.
It's like giving someone a 1974 Pacer with no transmission, Gee thanks.
(Well at least the Pacer would be worth more as scrap metal than that PC you are sending)
Send that thing in for recylcing and give them a $150 gift certificate for a Dell. You will be money ahead counting your time and shipping, and you will feel a lot better knowing you didn't just pawn off a real piece of crap to someone in your own family.

I dont think their at all tech savvy, so asking them to find a low spec computer... no deal, besides computers over there are said to be overpriced, which is the reason why we want to send a computer over.

It takes no savvy to locate the cheapest system at the local equivalent of Wall Mart or Best Buy.
Even the cheapest new system they can locate will be MUCH better than what you are sending them.
Overpriced or not, it will likely be more cost effective for them to purchase locally than for you to send them a new machine.
That way, they will get a local keyboard, the OS will be in their native language and they will have warranty support if they mess it up.

djc604

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
oops, late reply
but yea i totally agree with you outlw6669
thats why I've posted this to find out whether i should just leave the PCI and send it as is with the extra ram which is 10 bucks for 2x256mb modules, which is cheap enough, cuz 1 way or another, we just want to send that thing away, for good
btw they are in the philippines.

jeffredo

Distinguished
I'd call some e-cycling company to take it away and send your cousins a Best Buy gift certificate with the money not spent on worthless upgrades and shipping.

A couple years ago I got an old Dell Dimension V350 from work. Stuck a Powerleap 1.4 Ghz Celeron CPU upgrade in it, got the RAM up to 384 MB, installed a Voodoo5 PCI graphics card, 80 GB HD and Windows 98 SE. Basically spent about $250 and used some parts I already had.

It still runs like crap. Old PCs like that just cannot handle even graphically demanding websites (which most are now that broadband is so prevalent). Just surfing the net - even with DSL - is annoying. About the only thing its good for is playing Diablo II. ;)