Overclocking my DDR3 1333 memory

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Overclocking
  • DDR3
  • Intel i7
Last response: in Overclocking
February 24, 2010 1:13:51 PM

I overcloked my i7 on 3.8 ghZ with memory down-clock on 1145 mhZ. with 1.5 V. My question is can I clock the memory on 1527 mhZ,with 1.5 V(Standard JEDEC), without frying the memory or the DIMM slots on the mobo.

My spec are:

Core i7 920

DDR3 Kingmax 6 GB 1333 mhZ native

More about : overclocking ddr3 1333 memory

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2010 1:22:14 AM

As long as you don't increase the voltage, you won't fry the RAM or the slots. If you try to take the RAM freq that high, three things could happen:
-- the computer won't POST, you'll get BIOS code regarding memory,
-- the computer will POST, but you'll get BSOD at boot to OS, or
-- the computer will POST and then Boot into OS.
I'm betting on the first because that is a high OC on the RAM.

I keep an excel log of my OCing attempts with the settings I tried, whether or not it POSTed, and if so, whether or not it passed memtest86+, and if so, whether or not it booted into the OS. It keeps me from wasting time on settings I tried, but didn't work.
February 25, 2010 7:31:28 AM

treefrog07 said:
As long as you don't increase the voltage, you won't fry the RAM or the slots. If you try to take the RAM freq that high, three things could happen:

I keep an excel log of my OCing attempts with the settings I tried, whether or not it POSTed, and if so, whether or not it passed memtest86+, and if so, whether or not it booted into the OS. It keeps me from wasting time on settings I tried, but didn't work.

Thanks, at least now I now that is safe to try. Today I am going to try to increase just a frequency, and I am going to inform you if the operation memory was successful :D 
Related resources
a b } Memory
a c 197 K Overclocking
February 25, 2010 7:56:29 AM

treefrog07 said:

I keep an excel log of my OCing attempts ...

Doesn't everybody? :) 
February 25, 2010 7:23:34 PM

treefrog07 said:

OMG, I just finished memtest without any errors. I overclocked the ram on 1524 mhZ with 1.5 V standard JEDEC. The PC runs fine, games are awesome, on every benchmarks that I tested I have significantly increase of memory performance. So far everything is O.K, so may next question would be can I leave this setting for 24/7 use?.

TnX
February 25, 2010 7:27:19 PM

P.S Memory timings are 9-9-9-24 AUTO settings. Can I use for example 8-8-8-20? If not should I input 9-9-9-24 manual in the DRAM timings?

TnX Again
February 25, 2010 10:25:15 PM

spike15_mk said:
P.S Memory timings are 9-9-9-24 AUTO settings. Can I use for example 8-8-8-20? If not should I input 9-9-9-24 manual in the DRAM timings?

TnX Again

What is the timing normally?? 7-7-7-24??? That is what is sounds like here
Now if you are just under 1333 or at 1333 at the SPD/ Memory Frequency you are fine.
February 25, 2010 10:29:44 PM

I have Kingmax 1333 Mhz. I overclock the RAM on 1524 Mhz with 9-9-9-24 timings(these timings were set by their defaults). So my question is, is it safe to try to tighten the memory timings, let say 8-8-8-24?.

TnX
February 25, 2010 10:41:50 PM

spike15_mk said:
I have Kingmax 1333 Mhz. I overclock the RAM on 1524 Mhz with 9-9-9-24 timings(these timings were set by their defaults). So my question is, is it safe to try to tighten the memory timings, let say 8-8-8-24?.

TnX

Well what i would do is turn down the Mhz and make sure are at 1333 or under.
But if you overclock your CPU by 18X multiplier and Bus speed is at 215 - 222, you
you should try to set the SPD around 1333 or under. But even at 1333 it would be at 9-9-9-24
switch is fine because I also have the same
February 25, 2010 10:55:06 PM

Wait,I did not understand you say to down-clock the frequency of the memory?. But all time I was trying to overclock the memory. The point was to do a little boost in memory performance(which I succeed with overclock with 1.5 V). So can you explain me why I should decrease the frequency?

TnX
February 25, 2010 11:15:22 PM

spike15_mk said:
Wait,I did not understand you say to down-clock the frequency of the memory?. But all time I was trying to overclock the memory. The point was to do a little boost in memory performance(which I succeed with overclock with 1.5 V). So can you explain me why I should decrease the frequency?

TnX

Then you have it where you want it, then run a memtest86 to see if it stable or not.

I have my own way in overclocking my memory and you have your own way but
If I were you, I would want to run a memtest86 to see if the memory is stable in that overclock settings.
If not then you need to just down it a little to about 1360 1400
February 25, 2010 11:17:51 PM

TnX, I will get my hands dirty :D 
February 25, 2010 11:22:50 PM

spike15_mk said:
TnX, I will get my hands dirty :D 

Yes time to get your hand and your brain dirty. You want to start off at anything high like 1360 and then 1400 before going to 1560
!