Motherboard (?) problem

andr1us

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Hi, i have been having problems with my computer recently. I have lots of BSOD, with different messages. Sometimes computer doesnt start till i disconnect external HDD's. When i bought computer there was 2GB of RAM, later i added 2 more in dual channel mode, but after that i had constant crashes. I removed one stick of RAM and it seemed to run fine till few weeks ago.
Computer specs:
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R
Processor - Intel E6850
RAM - 3GB Crucial Ballistix 800MHz
Soundcard - Creative X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty
Graphics - Geforce 8800GTX
PSU - OCZ 600W

Also have 2 external hard drives connected all the time. Is it motherboard causing troubles or something else? Do i need to upgrade any parts? Thanks for any advice

aln688

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
Sounds odd. Have you updated your BIOS to the latest version? It could be your RAM is compatible with your board, especially the RAM modules for the 2nd set of 2GB you added. I would strip your system down to the bare essentials, remove the external HDDs and everything else, run with two sticks of RAM, do not overclock and try to operate your system as basic as you can, try it that way.

If I had problems like that, remove all external devices you don't need, run off one HDD, two sticks of RAM, latest BIOS update and try to test your system for stability that way, then slowly add in the devices one by one.

Just some ideas for you.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
You MB Memory default voltage is 1.8v. Check what voltage your Ram requires. If it is greater than 1.8v you need to increase the Memory voltage in Bios so it is equal to what your Ram requires.
If you are occupying 4 of the memory slots you will have to raise the voltage above your Rams default voltage. For instance if your Ram requires default voltage of 2.0v you might have to raise the voltage to 2.1v or even 2.2v to get it to run without crashing. After you find the Specs for your Ram and have set the voltage accordingly in Bios download and run Memtest86. It is a free download. http://www.memtest86.com/