Bloody hell... sigh please help with hard drive instillation.. please

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
alright so my cousin bought this hard drive on december the 26th. the seagate barracuda 500gb drive. Iv just now been able to come over and install it. as the plan was to install it and transfer all the important files to it. then wipe the os hard drive with vista on it and install xp. so that he would then have xp and an extra 320 gb storage drive (which was the original drive). (if there is a way to just over write vista with xp that would be awesome)

anyways so today i have just tried to install it and i put it all in however when i hit hte power button nothing happens, the fans run for half a second then cut out. I tried a few power cables to be sure it wasnt them but still the same thing. i then removed the cables from the original hard drive and put them in the new one, and still the same thing.

this is incredibly frustrating and i feel very responsible for some reason for this not working... im not going to have to front the cost of it because i dont think ncix deals with things over 30 days.

anyways hes got the following components

evag 780i mobo
8800 ultra
2 gb corsair ram
700 watt ocz psu
320 western digital drive

please please help, i feel sick to my stomach right now...

* i know this isnt the proper section but im desperate.

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
it works when i disconnect the new hard drive and just use the old configuration that i had.

but whenever i simply plug the new drive in it doesnt post

nsimo86

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
those seagate drives have had a lot of issues. You should check out seagate support, i'm sure there is a FAQ section that might help you.

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
k a spark just came out of it.... as i tried it again after resetting the cmos....

*edit- and is it possible to over write vista with xp and keep all the files i had on it before like movies, word files, games etc?

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
a SPARK just came out of it??????? out of what? that is seriously bad news... you may have fried more than the hard drive.

anyway, :lol: you can install vista on the 500GB, then just copy paste all the files, or create a partition and copy paste the files.