graphic doubt in a new updgrade

r3k13m

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Hello,
At the moment, I have an AMD athlon 64 3000, in a Gigabyte sli capable motherboard. I am making an upgrade step by step because a guy gave me an HP 24 inch monitor, because the new monitor can manage 1900x1200, I'm upgrading the hole system, but waiting until intel i7 go down in prices; I've already bought a PSU Corsair HX620 and a sata II hard disk ( before I had a generic PSU and an IDE hdd). Now I'm looking for a graphic card that is able to manage that resolution. I've thought two ways (but also I'm open for new ones), getting a 4850 1 Gb (and a second one, when I have the money, after getting a new motherboard of course) or a 4870 512Mb ( I cannot afford more than 200€).

Thanks.

Hello and welcome to the forums mate :)
Well,an ATHLON 3000 would bottleneck your card,so i say upgrade your CPU too,to something like a Q6600/E8400.
For VGA,go for HD 4870 512,because HD 4870 is faster than HD 4850 and the 1GB memory of 4850 would not make alot of difference.

r3k13m

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Thanks for your welcome Maziar.

About the bottleneck, I said I am waiting for the intel i7; now they are in the street, but that price... I cannot afford that, so by now, I am upgrading the other elements, and now it's time for the graphic card.
Really I'll not see any difference with the memory at that resolution?
Actually I have three in mind:

http://www.alternate.es/html/productDetails.html?artno=JBXHU4

http://www.appinformatica.com/tarjetas-graficas-gigabyte-radeon-hd4850-1024m-gddr3-pci-e.php

http://www.alternate.es/html/productDetails.html?artno=JBXHU2

http://www.alternate.es/html/productDetails.html?artno=JBXWU6

I've put the shops links, to show the prices I can get of the cards, and please take that in mind :)

Thanks

No because HD 4870 is a faster card overall so the extra memory of HD 4850 wont help it alot.

Between those,i choose HD 4870 and between the HD 4870s,the last one is the OC'd version and judging from prices,i would choose the gainward one since is a little more expensive than the stock HD 4870(The first link) and the Dual Cooler HD 4870 (it is a good choice)but the price difference isnt worth it IMO.

r3k13m

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Ok, thank you,
but do you think a 4850 1Gb OC'd can manage new games like FarCry2, Fallout3... at 1900x1200 flawless?

I second Maziar on the card selection , by the time the i7 is out as a usable/affordable option you will probably need the 4870 as a minimum. Im just checking here but you do know i assume as you mentioned the new Motherboard that as well as the new chipset required for the i7, which is also said to be comming in differant pin counts with the LGA1160 (or 1156) as some reports are now saying being for the entry level systems as well as the full fat 1366 socket which is the one currantly available. You will need to make sure that its Crossfire and not SLI.
I guess you know but would hate not to mention it while it has occured to me.

Mactronix

r3k13m

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
I think definitely I'll go for 4870, thank you, Maziar.

Mactronix, what do you mean about the different sockets? (I don't understand you really well) What I know is, the actual socket for i7 is 1366 and they will change it soon (in a year) to the 1160 (or 1156), but anyhow, there is gonna be Crossfire motherboards for every chipset as well as SLI.

Yes thats all cool, Just wondered if you were aware and you are so its all good :) Didnt want you buying a 1366 board and then wanting a 1160 or 1156 chip later on.

Mactronix

r3k13m

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
But there is not gonna be a big difference between them, because both are based in the same architecture... or yes?

No problem mate :) glad i could help u :)
And btw,if u want to go with technology u cant ever buy a new thing :D

Im not going to lie to you the fact is i dont know what the differance may or may not be. Usually these things take a few revisions before they settle down to a stable product familly and i personally would never jump on the first incarnation of a new technology. Some people do and i take my hat of to them as its these people that help to sort out the early bugs so people like me dont need to worry about it so much. Could be the 1160,1156 chips are better or they could just be lower performing versions that wont overclock to the same level as the 1366 chips, then again they may go past them for 3/4 the price.
Mactronix

r3k13m

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
I'm totally agree with you Mactronix, I'll never (almost) going to buy a pc component without viewing its review and comparing, I think thats call an intelligent bought :sol:

And I have another question, for sure my PSU (Corsair HX620) can give power to a Crossfire of 4870 ( with 2 HDD, 1 CD and the new, supposed to be less energy eater, i7), right?

Amg

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
yes it can but be warned the HD4870 eats the power it eats more than a GTX280 at load so watch that, I would find a power supply with 4 6pin PCIe connectors due to the resitance each connector gives, using a converter on a HD minhgt end up in disater, and another thing you said your MOBO is SLI....it can't do crossfire it can only do SLI ethoir way your CPU will bottlenect the system, so that means you would need to get a new mobo, new graphics card and new CPU and memory ? if neccersory

Dont know what the power requirements are for it, the thing that will make a difference is the RAM as its triple channeled you will need 3 or 6 Gb DDR£ to run the chip to its potential. It will run with less but i would use 3 as a minimum.
I agree with AMG that while you are shelling out for the i7 and a new Motherboard you may as well get a PSU with 4 pcie connectors. The HX620 should run the system but as AMG said the voltage on the Molex connectors you would need to convert is not as stable as a dedicated PCIE cable would be.

Mactronix