Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intel pentium 4 overclock

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
February 25, 2010 1:45:49 AM

anybody know much towards overclocking a pentium 4 processor? ive looked everywhere and no help
im new to overclocking. so if anyone had any info that would be great thanks.

cpu: pentium 4 northwood at 2.8
mobo:stock dell deminsion 4600i
ram:512mb ddr3
gpu:nvidia geforce fx 5200
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2010 2:57:54 AM

First check out your Bios, most Dell computers WON'T let you OC them.
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
February 25, 2010 9:12:56 AM

And the Dell will be using the stock heatsinks so you can expect thermal problems.

You can try this:
Overclocking software:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclocking-softwa...

I don't know how effective the software will be, but with a locked BIOS, this is about all you can do.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2010 2:22:03 PM

^+1 you have to use overclocking software

Such software basically tries to tell the BIOS to use a faster FSB. That generally means you won't be able to raise the vcore for stability and will thus be limited by the stock voltage. Not too many people here overclock using software on a locked BIOS :D .
February 25, 2010 2:27:56 PM

Overclocking on your current setup will serve no purpose other than to raise your electric bill, heat your living quarters and potentially burn up your computer. A Northwood P4 is so far behind the times that even if you made it to 5 GHz (you won't!), it wouldn't be worth a crap for most tasks. Even a humble Core 2 Duo (we're talking about a $80 CPU) would absolutely destroy your CPU in any given task.

So what do you intend to accomplish by overclocking? I guess that's the question we should all be asking.
February 25, 2010 9:35:07 PM

well tahmks i think? either way this jus means more weekend work for money!
ah well it runs fine for me right now so waitin time >_<
February 25, 2010 9:43:10 PM

lack5 said:
anybody know much towards overclocking a pentium 4 processor? ive looked everywhere and no help
im new to overclocking. so if anyone had any info that would be great thanks.

cpu: pentium 4 northwood at 2.8
mobo:stock dell deminsion 4600i
ram:512mb ddr3
gpu:nvidia geforce fx 5200



Say anyone notice that he said 512 DDR3??
February 25, 2010 10:54:22 PM

lol thats 1 unique system then!!!!!
February 26, 2010 8:26:15 PM

well it was my moms computer in 04 so im just gonna uprgrade it with money i get.
February 26, 2010 8:42:17 PM

lack5 said:
well it was my moms computer in 04 so im just gonna uprgrade it with money i get.

You know that DDR3 doesn't support that motherboard. DDR3 is for for newer motherboards with 1156 and 1366 CPU sockets.

What you need is DDR Not DDR2 and Not DDR3
February 27, 2010 1:10:06 AM

well it works somehow. and it is DDR3. i even double checked.
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2010 2:37:11 AM

lack5 said:
well it works somehow. and it is DDR3. i even double checked.


Does it have a sticker on the ram like pc-2700 or pc-3200, something like that? All ram sticks are usually marked.

He is wrong about the DDR3 only being for the 1156/1366 socket MB's though, DDR3 was/is available on some of the 775 socket as well. I bought a P35 (775 socket) MB years ago with DDR3 capability.

February 27, 2010 5:28:39 AM

RJR said:
Does it have a sticker on the ram like pc-2700 or pc-3200, something like that? All ram sticks are usually marked.

He is wrong about the DDR3 only being for the 1156/1366 socket MB's though, DDR3 was/is available on some of the 775 socket as well. I bought a P35 (775 socket) MB years ago with DDR3 capability.



Well I am so sorry that I never said DDR3 was for the 775 motherboards. That clearly left my mind for a moment.
And I bet you had a high-end 775 motherboard that was DDR3??


What is going on with people today. Seem like everyone is in a bad mood.
!