Does 'remove program' work in the safe mode ?

I am desparate to remove the virus 'XP Total Security 2011'.

I can't open Windows or ANY app, for that matter, so I can't update my virus defs, or apply any antidote. I can however, get into Safe Mode.

My first thought it to try to remove the installed program, using conventional methods, starting with Safe Mode removal.

If that fails, I will have to try editing the Registry - tedious and delicate as syntax is so important.

Gord Clark
2 answers Last reply
More about does remove program work safe mode
  1. Yes you can remove programs in safe mode. (if it will remove)
    Or, you can recover your personal files, make a backup, reinstall the operating system.
    Or have a computer shop do it for you.
    Don't mess with the registry, it's better to recover your files by removing the hard drive and installing it as a second drive on a working XP computer.
    You installed free security downloads? Hows that working out for you?

Once you get it going again, use only a professional all in one security system. This is NOT a free download. Norton, Panda, Kaspersky are the ones you should be thinking about.

Start the computer in safe mode, try to backup your files to a thumb drive. After you backup all your personal stuff, reformat the drive and do a fresh install of XP or win7.
  2. Don't mess with this thing manually, especially editing the registry or removing files.

Start SafeMode with Networking. Install Malwarebytes, run the update, do a Full Scan.

Then reboot, start in SafeMode again, run a second sweep. Should be all set.

You can't remove these things with Add/Remove programs anyway.
Ask a new question

Read More

Security Safe Mode Virus Windows XP