Sign in with
Your question

Does 'remove program' work in the safe mode ?

Tags:
  • Security
  • Safe Mode
  • Virus
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
April 4, 2011 4:22:44 PM

I am desparate to remove the virus 'XP Total Security 2011'.

I can't open Windows or ANY app, for that matter, so I can't update my virus defs, or apply any antidote. I can however, get into Safe Mode.

My first thought it to try to remove the installed program, using conventional methods, starting with Safe Mode removal.

If that fails, I will have to try editing the Registry - tedious and delicate as syntax is so important.

Gord Clark

More about : remove program work safe mode

April 4, 2011 4:34:07 PM

Yes you can remove programs in safe mode. (if it will remove)
Or, you can recover your personal files, make a backup, reinstall the operating system.
Or have a computer shop do it for you.
Don't mess with the registry, it's better to recover your files by removing the hard drive and installing it as a second drive on a working XP computer.
You installed free security downloads? Hows that working out for you?

Once you get it going again, use only a professional all in one security system. This is NOT a free download. Norton, Panda, Kaspersky are the ones you should be thinking about.

Start the computer in safe mode, try to backup your files to a thumb drive. After you backup all your personal stuff, reformat the drive and do a fresh install of XP or win7.

m
l
a b 8 Security
April 4, 2011 5:43:03 PM

Don't mess with this thing manually, especially editing the registry or removing files.

Start SafeMode with Networking. Install Malwarebytes, run the update, do a Full Scan.

Then reboot, start in SafeMode again, run a second sweep. Should be all set.

You can't remove these things with Add/Remove programs anyway.
m
l
!