Toms got it WRONG!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
i just read the new gaming marathon article in which they used a sapphire 4850 in the rig. heres the link:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-graphics-overclocking,2082-4.html

im so furious after reading this article when it reached the point of temperature and cooling performance! its totally BS! EVERYONE that has this card complains it runs too hot. EVERYONE. yet here is an article on tomshardware saying it 'runs plenty cool on auto fan speed'? is 88 degrees celcius cool for my video card tom cuz that what it runs at on at auto. im starting to wonder if toms is actually SELLING more than they are reviewing...

Primus462

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Wow! You have actually talked to EVERYONE who owns a Sapphire 4850? EVERYONE? How many people is that? Tens of thousands? Hundreds of thousands? Impressive!

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

what do you mean its not the stock cooler. i have the same exact card + case...

and customisbett take your noob advice elsewhere.

x_2fast4u_x

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
I think we all need to retract our heated words and put our anger monkeys on leashes, this is a friendly forum and we need to keep it that way this kind of nonsense is what causes forums to go bellies up and it sets a bad precedent for new comers.

I am not going to make excuses for anyone. But it is not stock cooling.

x_2fast4u_x

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
Its not "stock" most people have different cooling the ALI red single slot cooler, have you looked at other people who have the SAME exact card as you? By the way, they bake these chips at roughly 200degrees Celsius for 12 hours as part of the curing process, so do not fret my hot headed friend you will be OK! try taking off your cooler and cleaning it then adding new thermal grease.

*edit* MY 200th POST!

toosober

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

Furious? Everyone? Selling?
Are you to be the next editor at Tom's? What benefit to the Hardware Community are you providing by this sophomoric rant? What benefit do you provide Tom's Hardware, or any other hardware review site?

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
I'm Sorry. Maybe werxen is quite competent, but his original post is foolish. 88 degrees will not hurt any video card.
Also, and i may be wrong, but this card doesn't have a 4pin header so it doesn't adjust by temps does it? I think you have to manually set the fan speed.
since 'auto' settings are generally pretty low and then adjust by temperature, its possible that your card isn't raising the fan speed.

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The original 4850 stock cooler is a single-slot cooler and did a terrible job at cooling. The card they picture has what looks like a double-slot cooler. Those bigger coolers tend to lower temps...I think.... :lol:

x_2fast4u_x

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
See! we can get our points across without blowing up ^.^ i agree it was fairly foolish but we don't need to point fingers and call people hurtful names. Also toms mentions the "NVIDIA" 8800gt served well, why would ATI pay for them to mention other competition as good or great they also mention it OC's well.

Ok i think everyone is over reacting here,
@ werxen,
Are you aware that there is a place on the forums to post complaints about perceived problems or issues with the site ? Thats where this should be posted and not in the graphics forum.
You could have posted asking peoples opinions on your observations and we could have had a structured debate about it, which is the prefered way on these forums. Im not a mod or anything and you can take this advice whichever way you will but its intended as structural advice. :)
@ Well everyone else,
I can see where the OP is coming from and anyone who has been reading a selection of reviews and tests should be able to see it too. Ok so the post was heavy handed and its good to see the formites rallying around toms when it gets attacked but the ops point is valid in my opinion. That fan is stock for that card. Its not a referance card which i think what some of you are getting at.
These cards will happily run that hot but personally i wouldnt want to be pushing air that hot into the middle of my system.

Mactronix

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004

Aside from the flame war that's about to start, Mactronix is totally right. I've said this before in quite a few threads. The temp YOUR system runs at isn't "too hot" just because your system is identical to your friends and yours is 10C higher. If it's still in the designed spec, then I don't see why(or how) you can make the arguement yours is "too hot". Cooler isn't always better, unless you are trying for extreme overclocking(and if you are in this small group, I doubt you would be able to get any useful information to help you from a forum). If it's "in spec" then it's fine. If you don't like that yours is 10C higher, that's what I call a "you problem". Nothing is really wrong. 2 identical cars that are the same year and model don't always get the same gas mileage, so why would you expect identical temps on CPUs? Being "in spec" is "in spec", nothing more. If your CPU isn't throttling speed due to temps, then you are likely doing fine.

As for 88C on a graphics card, that's in spec as far as I know. Nvidia designed their processors for 100C! I remember when they first designed their processors for 100C people were talking about how great it will be to have 100C fanless cards, but it was short lived. The heat was radiating off the card and rising up towards the power supply. The heat was so intense some people had the insulation on their power cabling melting and bubbling. That was when people realized that maybe 100C isn't so great.

As for deficiencies with the 4850, I have no idea. I don't use ATI. I haven't ever "enjoyed" owning an ATI card, and until I get an ATI card for free, I'll spend my money on nVidia. I will say that it would be a big disappointment to find that Tom has sold out on us.

skywalker9952

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
From newegg reviews of the card toms used.

"Pros: Installed easily, latest drivers work great, stays cool, overclocked the CPU to 680MHz and the memory to 1108MHz."

"Tis' fast, runs cool at 46C with the ds cooler."

"Runs cool at 37C Idle."

"and it runs very cool at full load it never goes above 65 degrees C"

"Has a great cooler installed - idel temps are 38C, load temps are 56C (these are the temps on my overclocked HD4850)."

There are 132 reviews of this card. I went through about the first 30. To be fair there were two reviews in the 30 complaining of temperature, but one was complaining of 92F which is like 33C.

Thread is FUD and should be closed.

pauldh

Illustrious
im so furious after reading this article when it reached the point of temperature and cooling performance! its totally BS! EVERYONE that has this card complains it runs too hot. EVERYONE.
This Sapphire never went anywhere near 88 degrees. Observed load temps stayed under 70 degrees.

Same card, Firingsquad load temps 65 degrees:
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/sapphire_toxic_4850_dual_slot_review/page12.asp

Bjorn3D - same card load temps 69 degrees:
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1359&pageID=5419

Techpowerup (as posted) load temps 70 degrees with a 741 MHz core:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_4850/29.html

Another one: Card ran 20 degrees cooler than ref. fan, don't seem to show load temps (on my quick glance anyway):
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd4850_dual/6.htm

Obviously, not everyone complains this card runs too hot.

x_2fast4u_x

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
Please do not bump this thread which has obviously reached an end with your useless comments. That being said lets try to help this poor lost soul.

Try removing your cooling unit, clean off the GPU, clean off the heat sink, apply some thermal grease, or artic silver, put the cooler back on run something GPU intensive for about 6 hours(lets the HS/fan and thermal compound to settle), then retest your temps. If this does not work then check your voltage with a program like GPU-Z make sure it is at stock.

x_2fast4u_x

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
habitat87, it is never right to jack a thread however if you are willing to post a thread in storage i will me more then happy to help you =)

i will be waiting to see your happy little face in storage.

Afterglow

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
I think everyone is missing an important point. PC temp is hugely depended on the room temp. If ur room temp is 25C+ like mine then ur graphics card idle temp would be 70C+. But if room temp is only 15C+ then things will be very much even if u use the same PC in both places. So don’t ask stupid questions unless u know ur room temp is same as the toms test room temp.

Afterglow

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
Edit: But if room temp is only 15C+ then things will be very much diffrent even if u use the same PC in both places.

Status
Not open for further replies.