Some stange oddities w/ new comp.

revo8778

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
I just recently put together a new comp, and so far it's working great. I was lucky enough to slap it together and not listen to an orchestra of beeps when I first turned it on. Anyways, I have Windows XP x64 Professional running on it, and some programs. Only a few problems continue to plague me.

1. When I turn off the machine, the case light and the HDD light stays on. I can assure you all that it is in the S5/G3 sleep state, aka "soft off", and it is NOT in hibernation mode or standby. All fans and internal accessories are off. Only thing on are the front panel lights, and a green light on the motherboard. My case, however, doesn't have a plug for the power light that goes into the motherboard header, instead it has a molex connector that plugs into any said connector coming from the power supply. The HDD light on the other hand, plugs into the motherboard header.

2. I use a sata NEC DVD+-RW drive, model ND-3650a. The drive itself works fine, but Windows sees it as a CD drive. I can insert DVD data discs (haven't tried movies) but the drive icon doesn't change when i insert a blank DVD+R disc. Plus, the drive's properties windows doesn't let me set autoplay settings for any kind of DVD. How can I manually change it to a DVD+-RW drive?

3. I have two hard drives. One is a WD sata drive, which contains my windows install. The other is a Maxtor pata drive, from my old computer, containing all my old files. In My Computer, Windows labels the WD drive as drive E: and the Maxtor drive as drive C:. Is this a problem or just a cosmetic thing?

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Not sure about your case lights - i can understand why the power light may stay on, but the HDD light is a bit odd - have you tried turning the connector around on the motherboard?

DVD-RW - dont know about that either........

Now HDD's, the problem is just cosmetic, but it irritates me personally, teh only way to change it is to reinstall windows with the other drive disconnected (pata before sata when windows installs), I had a more irritating problem when i installed windows with an internal card reader - my windows disk was H: :-(

revo8778

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
I actually thought it was a cosmetic thing, because programs I installed would automatically go to the E: drive. Windows 98 had a way of changing drive letters but with XP i guess it's automatic. As for the lights, I double checked that the connectors were on the right way, so so far it's a mystery.

go to control panel, computer administration, storage manager, local disks, or some such thing, there you can set the drives letters.

I've seen (and not solved the drive thing before) you have installed the drivers haven't you?